Stick with the 7mgte or swap for 1jz?

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I know this topic has been beaten to death but after spending a day searching I have come up with a few reasons why a 1jz would be better but it all depends on what the person wants and for me a 1jz would suit me well.

First off, can anyone recommend some places to buy a 1jzgte motor that is reputable?

Alright now the motors, I have been debating on replacing the head gasket on my 7mgte, which would cost me roughly $1,500 but I'd probably spend about $2,000 replacing various things, and I was thinking maybe it would be better to swap the 7m for a 1jz instead since the jz is a better motor overall. I am not looking to make crazy HP or drag race it the car will be a street car and once I get it to where I want it I'll take it to the track on occasion but for now I just want your opinion since I would be spending as much as it would cost to just buy a 1jz fixing the 7M I might as well save up a bit more and do the swap and be happier in the end. What do you guys think?

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Lol that was quick. Anything I should know about doing this swap? From what I read on here you just need a JZ flywheel and bell housing for it to bolt up to the R154 transmission correct?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ

1,500 for a head gasket job seems steep... Where you planing on some one else doing the job ?

I did my head gasket job for under $300 lol. Of course I had some parts already tho.

But if you price it out

$100 for head deck
$100 for engine gasket kit
$80 for oem headgasket
$130 for arp head studs.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Turbo Habanero;1840835 said:
1,500 for a head gasket job seems steep... Where you planing on some one else doing the job ?

I did my head gasket job for under $300 lol.
Well my highly suggests slightly machining the head since it is a 21 year old motor and to ensure solid contact, the machining is why it is so steep but honestly I just want to replace the gasket and get ARP studs so I can actually drive the car.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Yeah it shouldn't cost you much

Deck/machine head $100 at most
Arp studs $130
Gasket set $100
Head gasket $80

And that's rounding up

Total $410.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
$1500 is way steep for a Head gasket. I did a full rebuild for $1500, that includes a used rebuildable motor. I had maybe $300 in various other things I fixed as well. My regret was not going with forged internals or MHG, not that i need either for my goals, but overkill is underrated.
-AM3

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
but doesn't the 1J have better mpg and turbo response? I've read that extra half a liter displacement doesn't make much of a difference.