STi guy buys MK3...

RallySoob

Rally Man Sam
Nov 2, 2006
Oregon
ya, you are probably rite on keepin the 7M in there. I dont wanna dump more than 10K into this car since it has so many mechanical limitations. Not to mention the looks are a little dated... I like having something different than a 240sx as a drift car also. dilemas

tig321

Mar 13, 2006
Edmonton/Victoria
RallySoob said:
This 1 has the sport package too. Which may be the headlight washers and a better LSD.

The fluidine radiator was a bonus:

nice car, the fluidine was a very good score. The sport package has 4.30 LSD I believe.

RallySoob said:
ummm... YES! after a litle reading it seems a 2JZ may be more suitable than a monster 7M. Who knows... I know i need atleast 300hp from a 3000lb/car to = fun.

Don't under estimate the 1j it's much more capale than its 2.5L suggests. Just do your research and make sure you get eveything you need from the correct model
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoOyNJSUIzI

judging by your handle you, like me, appciate a well rounded vehicle. Have a look at these. http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27659

Congrats on the good buy, I hope you have alot of fun with it.

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
RallySoob said:
ya, you are probably rite on keepin the 7M in there. I dont wanna dump more than 10K into this car since it has so many mechanical limitations. Not to mention the looks are a little dated... I like having something different than a 240sx as a drift car also. dilemas

First off Welcome,

always glad to see another person picking up a Supra and having some fun.

I know the car is not a Modern wonder car. but it does hold it's own for the most part. At 3500lbs before you sit in it. It is a bit of a beast to slide around corners. not that it can't be done though. :)

I like your video.

These cars can be real gems and great fun.

if you stick with the 7M you just need to make sure you prep it corectly and you'll be golden.

Personally i am going over to the 1JZ. I was talking to someone over at RCTS they dyno'd there completly stock 1JZ-GTE. It put down 260RWHP and 280ft/lbs torque for a 2.5L from the 90's thats not half bad. especially since nothing has been done to it. You can easily reach 300 at the rear wheels, with that engine all you would need to do esentialy is and intake and a full Exhast from the turbos back.

With either engine, you can do allot and for allot less then swapping for a 2J in.

take a look around at the (ROTM) Ride of the Month in the general discussion area or at some of the build threads that people have.

I look forward to seeing what you do with your new found car.

RallySoob

Rally Man Sam
Nov 2, 2006
Oregon
ya I understand what your saying about the 1jz vs. the 2jz. From the looks of my current situation, I'm gonna look for a pre-built motor (preferably from the u.k) and spend most my money getting it in there and reinforcing the car to handle the extra power for racing conditions. One thing I can't stand is having a motor apart <--because i lack knowledge, and it scares me, and then i dont sleep until it's all together again...
*Preferable a 350hp crate 1jz with tranny would be ideal... probably not an easy gem to find

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
might be easier to find then you think. Don't know if you'll find it in the UK, maybe Japan. A 1J with 350HP, it does not take much to get it there. you could even keep the stock twins i think. Don't know if you would want to but 10 to 1 you could and achive those numbers

RallySoob

Rally Man Sam
Nov 2, 2006
Oregon
I've been searching these japanese engine importers on the web and am yet to find a quality used front clip or motor/trans package. I don't really wanna buy one I have to rebuild. Plus I'm impatient and want to get started driving this car.
For Now, I'm thinking 350hp because it's moderate for a daily driver and should'nt eat the rest of the car alive.
If it handles alrite after a proper-susp setup and tune, I wanna keep it and go a little further.
Isn't there any companies that sell hi-perf 1JZs or even 7M's? For insintence If I had the money, I could go buy a "crawford racing" motor for my sooby with a fully closed deck, racing valve train/cams with a new redline of 9000+ rmps,port+polish, pistons, blah and blah pushing 400-800hp for a whopping 18-25K.
can't you get a performance motor with core swap or somin for these? Maybe even in the States? I would think you could get into a raced out 1jz or 7M for under 10K easily..... right?
-reason i said u.k., I've had good luck with Pro-Drive and some other great part manufacturers/race developers over there. The level of Progression every season is insane...I'm convinced they all used to work for NASA;)

tig321

Mar 13, 2006
Edmonton/Victoria
I have heard many good things said about driftmotion.com (bigaaron on this site). They're located in Pomona CA. not to far from you. They get full front clips (everything you need) and engines I believe. They do many swaps and are well informed on whats needed. Thats just what I've heard, I have not done business with them because they don't ship to Canada.

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Congrats on the Supra. Did you win that auction for that clip? And did anybody find the horsepower/torque numbers slightly off? A good supplier for 1JZ clips is Driftmotion. I should know, that's where I got mine from. Also, what part of Oregon are you in? I'm originally from Beaverton, but I'm stationed down at Camp Pendleton here in California (near San Diego). BTW, I have a 1JZ-GTE and love it!

Adam

RallySoob

Rally Man Sam
Nov 2, 2006
Oregon
Ya, I did'nt buy that 1. Condition was a little shady after talkin to the guy... I live in Salem right now but plan to move back to portland soon (i went to PSU). But i was born and raised in Eugene:) Thanx for the pointers bro...