Starts fine cold, chokes up on hot start

AgentOrange

Nov 27, 2014
Utah
I've searched quite a few different forums and haven't found a lot on this. I have an '87 7mgte everything is basically stock. It'll start fine in the morning but if I drive it, say, to the gas station and fill up, it takes some coaxing to restart. Everytime it gets more difficult. Any help or ideas what it could be?

nhum

Consequence
Aug 25, 2005
VA
I had similar problem before. Mine just would not start after it got hot. Did not do any research and went ahead and replaced the battery and the starter. That solved my problem. Just found this link today before I voice my opinion. I hope this would you in some way.

http://erareplicas.com/427man/engine/hotstart.htm

585Soup

Mar 12, 2015
Colorado
hard or slow starts when warm is a common symptom of low compression. i learned this quite a few times with some motorcycles i had.

585Soup

Mar 12, 2015
Colorado
Nick M;2050620 said:
So compression drops with a temperature increase? Fascinating....
that's at least one thing i would check. but mentioned above, ive had worse readings on a warm engine than a cold one

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
This is not a Briggs and Stratton. I withheld my comment the first time giving you a chance. I see that was wrong. Compression goes up with temps as the rings expand. Read the manual if you are struggling with this.

585Soup

Mar 12, 2015
Colorado
Hmm...I didn't know Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki put Briggs in their motorcycles. Maybe I just didn't check the engine codes on them. I'll got check my fz8 right now. It might have a Briggs. The rings may expand. But it also expands everything else. Such as possible cracks or gasket issues. Which, lead to low compression or poor compression. Even google "hard start when warm/hot". Almost every page mentions to check compression.

But, you could also check your plug gap. Or just plugs in general. My poopra, after replacing all the wires and cleaning the water out of the galley, started rough. Changed the plugs and gapped them properly, problem solved. This was after I confirmed the compression was fine.

vCo2v

Jun 10, 2011
Tacoma
mine seemed to be the fact that my coil pack wasn't grounded properly. After I grounded it the hot start issue seemed to have went away.