Starting to smoke..

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Alright ladies and gents, I have an interesting issue going on.

Every now and then my car would smoke a lil bit, but lately I have noticed it a lot more.

Now, it is a very light color smoke (sometimes very light blue, but smells like burning oil, so i'm going to assume oil.

Okay so heres the symptoms. No smoke on start-up. No smoke on acceleration. Only smokes when car is fully warmed up and coming to a stop. for instance, I will be coming to a red light or stop sign, so I will cost in gear for a lil, then when I put it in neutral, it will then smoke for about 2-3 seconds, pretty good amount of smoke too.

So again, nothing on acceleration, hard or normal.

It's only when revving down you can say. While it mostly happens when I put the clutch in coming to a stop, it sometimes happens when I'm just costing slowing down, again when the revs are dropping.

All new and tight sealed pcv hoses (factory set-up, no catch can)
Also new valve stem gaskets (don't think it's those anyways due to it not always smoking)

So the basics: No smoke on start-up or accel. but only when coming to a stop and put the clutch in, or sometimes when just slowing down.

What in the world could it be?

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Ah thank you! I had forgot to mention that in my earlier post. But someone else has actually mentioned the exact same thing you said.

So that's two people so far that think it's the turbo.

Now i'm just at a loss though. What is it, the seals or whatever? And what would make it smoke only on decel?

emmkaytree

Mar 15, 2013
Illinois
Here are some possible causes, some probable, some rare. Turbo seals if boosted, valve stem seals or guide, crack in the head or cylinder wall allowing oil in, weak ring(s), im probably missing some tell-tale stuff but theres some stuff thrown out there. More than likely it's a valve problem, pcv, or turbo seal.

Hopefully it is oil, my MK3 had those symptoms right before the head gasket went out..

Trent

Quietly Browsing
Oct 30, 2007
Austin TX
Valve stem seals will usually show their failure at startup since some oil has leaked through and burns off at startup. That's not to say that they don't have other symptoms, but that is one of the main ways you can always tell if its those seals.

Smoke only on decceleration or at idle screams turbo seals. I've had my fair share of blown turbos and have had this exact issue a number of times. Didn't smoke when boosted or during normal driving, but when coasting or idling, it would smoke. Only a little at first and then as the seals got worse, it would do it more and more.

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Thank you for the info guys.

I am inclined to think turbo as well, being that while granted nothing is impossible in this case, it seems all the other options are ruled out.

But I am not wrapping my head around the 'physics' of it I guess you can say.

What is it that it can smoke on decel or idle a bit but not on accel or start-up?

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
I am going to tackle this issue shortly, been very swamped with work. However, if it is the turbo I will be very very upset. It's only got 16,000 miles on the rebuild, never boosted over 9 pounds..

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
old turbo's don't always rebuild well and it depends who did them how well the quality of it was done. but 16,000 miles is alot better then my buddy who made less then 1000km before his 57-1 failed.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
ball-bearing turbos definately have the longevity factor compared to other turbos. I have rebuilds for my c12a's myself but I figured by the time I blow them I will be looking to upgrade.