Starting the 2j on the engine stand ?

flyt240

Jul 5, 2009
San Diego
Hello people its time for me to make my introduction. So here it goes
I bought a 2j from one of those jdm guys an you guessed it its got piston slap or something lik that so i pulled it out from the clip i bought to take a look at the rod bearings to see if it was comming from there an all the rod bearings look jus fine. For the last 2 weeks ive ben trying to start the engine on the engine stand an have had no luck.

If any of you guys no how to start the 2j on the engine stand it would be a great doubble Thumbs up.

Thanks people. Jim

A list of replies of those that dont know how or give up are what you will see below...

All criticism is welcomed... all be the first to start ." Im A Hillbilly Jackass "

Last edited:

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
flyt240;1391924 said:
Hello people its time for me to make my introduction. So here it goes
I bought a 2j from one of those jdm guys an you guessed it its got piston slap or something lik that so i pulled it out from the clip i bought to take a look at the rod bearings to see if it was comming from there an all the rod bearings look jus fine. For the last 2 weeks ive ben trying to start the engine on the engine stand an have had no luck.

If any of you guys no how to start the 2j on the engine stand it would be a great doubble Thumbs up.

Thanks people. Jim

welcome to sm sorry cant help you with that question did you happen to buy it off craigslist....?

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
if you are going to start that engine on a stand, you better make damn sure that stand is

1. Sturdy
2. Braced thoroughly

if it isnt, motor will torque and flip over.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
NFI why you'd bother as without an aircleaner and exhaust you're not going to hear shit..... :nono:

failboat.jpg

skefro

Aug 5, 2009
Coeur D' Alene ID
I work at a salvage yard and we start engines on stands all of the time. Just need a carburetor and a distributor attatched to the crank pulley bolt. timing will be messed up but it will run good enough to diagnose any problems. Have a fire extiguisher handy because of the way the timing will be it my backfire through the intake and start a fire.

flyt240

Jul 5, 2009
San Diego
Ok people nice good Laughs he he .

HOWEVER if a mopar 440 an a chevy 454 can start on the Engine stand than I see now reason why a 2jz can not.. I highly doubt it will flip over ......,.....

However if it does wont I be the laughing stock......."" Who Wants To Incourage Me ""
The reason im getting so much Slack is because NO Boddy knows how. The general response when people dont know how to do something....

Again I ask Does anybody know how to start the 2JZ on the Engine Stand ? ?

I Challenge Anybody on this sight to Complete the task .

Im close but not getting any spark . I have the igniter box on the harness , I have power to the +B on the diagnosis plug ,fuel pump an return fuel,i have the tranny all hooked up in case there is a ground wire that will hold it back, I have power to the E side of the ECU # 1 ignition switch. 31 +B. 32 +B1. 33 battery. an of course i have the ECU on the harness. The E side of the ECU im jus using an extra plug.

" Ok there it is.. Whos up for the challenge "

Last edited:

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
flyt240;1402334 said:
Ok people nice good Laughs he he .

HOWEVER if a mopar 440 an a chevy 454 can start on the Engine stand than I see now reason why a 2jz can not.. I highly doubt it will flip over ......,.....

Well, as long as you can emulate the inputs/outputs of the car it shouldnt be too difficult, but I think you are just making this hard on yourself.

Just put it in the car or:

Run pressurized fuel lines to engine
Ignitor/Distributor
Brace engine stand
Look at wiring diagram and copy inputs/outputs (clutch safety sw, +12v)

I think you are wasting your time. Your time would be better spent either disassembling the motor for inspection or just dropping the damn thing in.