Starting project, need some ideas.

pracefan

Nov 11, 2008
Colorado
Kinda new to SM. I have been collecting parts for a couple months. I have 3 7mgte engines, 2 MKIIIs and 1 MKII. The first engine I have to complete is a very good JDM I have taken down to the block, but not taken rods/pistons/crank out. It all checks out very well. What should I do for a head gasket? My plans for this engine are to make nice upgrades without going real radical. Not looking for more than maybe 400hp, really undecided at this point how far I want to go with this engine. It wil be my first MKIII, so looking to make it very driveable and dependable. I have another 7mgte in an 87 that runs, but if I keep it I will probably go radical on it. The other 7mgte is to put in my 84MKII which I have a 6mge in now that runs great. For this first motor and car, my budget is about 2K. Any suggestions?

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
You'll have to see each head and block and see how much material has been taken off (if any) already and from there choose a metal headgasket with the most appropriate thickness.

MHG will give you reliability and once installed properly should handle anything you are willing to throw at it.

pracefan

Nov 11, 2008
Colorado
Guyana00, thanks for the reply. What size MHG would a stock head use. I'm sure there has been no material removed, but what is the stock measurement of the head and from what points is it measured from?

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
pracefan;1198526 said:
Guyana00, thanks for the reply. What size MHG would a stock head use. I'm sure there has been no material removed, but what is the stock measurement of the head and from what points is it measured from?

Pretty sure Stock =1.2mm

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
DangoAZ;1198739 said:
^ Pretty sure stock hg thickness for 7mgte is 1.37mm.

Lots of info in the threads if you search for "head gasket thickness".
!.37mm compressed is correct for a stock gasket,my bad.