Starting Problems 101

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
So I have this cool car, but it likes to play tricks on me.. It only starts when it wants to leave my house. Apparently anywhere else is just a more desirable location to it.

The best way I can describe what it's been doing lately is the starter's just not getting any power to it. The battery is not the problem however, because the battery was replaced literally yesterday. However, and here's the fun part, jumping the battery generally works to get it started.

The battery's not dead when I do this, either. The lights are coming on and it's beeping, so on and so forth. Maybe a lose wire floating around somewhere?

What I've done so far, just to help you guys out with suggestions... Replaced battery 3 times, starter twice, keyswitch, gone through all the grounds and replaced the one from the engine block/manifold to the battery directly, and replaced the lead that goes to the starter itself (which was a result of me being stuck at advanced auto for 3 hours cause i couldn't get a hold of anyone with a jack or jack stands. Finally got a set for myself though! :) ) Oh, and the alternator passed all it's tests, still have the slip if you want me to scan that.

Some things I've mulled over in my mind are that when I installed the keyswitch maybe a little wire came lose and is only occasionally making connection, but how would jumping the battery resolve that? Another thing is that ground I replaced isn't really of the best quality, so maybe replacing that again would do some good.

What I plan on doing asap is just sticking a start button in there so I can bypass the entire ignition process, which hopefully will narrow it down quite a bit.

Now it's your turn, any insight on this lovely problem? Oh, it's an 89 with a 1jz-gte swap and auto trans if that helps at all. I am working on getting an r154, don't hate :(

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
How were the connections to the starter, were they carroded or rusty? Try hitting them with a little PB blaster and some sandpaper.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
YOu probably have a loose or bad contact, either on the starter or the ground wire.
Try cleaning it out abd make sure there is enough metal contact.
Trace your wire from the battery as well as the fusable link to make sure everything is good. there is a thinner wire on the positive battry to check..

Syris

Need Rust Repair
Aug 24, 2005
Bryan, OH /Lima, OH
check your security, when it doesnt want to start get out the car and put your key in the lock cylinder and turn it to the right 4 times. Basically unlock it 4 times, the lights flashing and beeping is your security system going off.

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Whats what i had on my car. i replaced the battery, wires, starter, ingnition switch and after all that it turned out to be a starter kill from the alarm. Directed stopped recommending to their dealers to istall it because of this thing. But it might be something else for you, since you say that it's already gone from your alarm. Just take it to the car audio shop to get it double checked.

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
Fixed until next time it doesn't work. :)

2530593_32_full.jpg

You like my radio, btw? Or lack there of. :p