Starting Issues - Vids Included (need help)

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Hi All,

I'll try and be as to the point as possible with what i'm experiencing with my car as far as starting goes and little random blips.

Bit of background I had the Starter Motor reconditioned about 6months back and it looks like a different/new unit all black. About 3months ago the car started playing up with starting which would happen about once every 2 weeks to about every few days I experience it now.

Symptoms:

- Car cranks, and sounds like it struggles to crank (hydraulic) type sound
- Car has on few occasions stalled soon after startup, say when leaving the street from neutral it would stall although you're not making it purposely stall
- Happens when Hot or Cold randomly
- Haven't ever seen the car at 1500rpm like a cold start should, idles about 800rpm sometimes down to 500rpm even though the idle revs had been adjusted to be at 800.
- On occasions if you're say boosting in any gear and you put the clutch in, it would stall (occurence has decreased since cleaning the ICS)

To do:

- Check codes, followed by clearing the codes, awaiting for it to happen again and then checking the codes

What has been done:

- Cold Start has been cleaned
- Starter Motor has been replaced
- CPS clip has been bypassed by direct wiring
- Fuel Filter has been replaced
- Have driven the car with Injector cleaner for a full tank

Here are the vids of what it is doing, all help from my fellow supramanian's is much appreciated as I don't know what could be causing me this grief since when it starts it starts perfectly fine and drives like a beauty. Holds 10psi and drives very well apart from the starting glitches as mentioned.

Here are the vids:
Failed start followed by good start following turn

Lots of great starts

Thanks in advance guys for your help.

update:
Have also been monitoring this thread:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79710&highlight=check+codes

But mine seems different as I have different starting issues.

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
Ground wire on coil pack ?

That's exactly how mine sounded when trying to start till I ran a ground wire from batter to coil pack and it started right up. Then cleaned up ALL my ground wires.

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
easternguy2005;1216711 said:
Ground wire on coil pack ?

That's exactly how mine sounded when trying to start till I ran a ground wire from batter to coil pack and it started right up. Then cleaned up ALL my ground wires.

I'll give that a shot, would you have a picture of how you've done this?

I'm just trying to picture in my head where I would attach the grounding wire from the coil pack end?

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
IJ.;1216759 said:
The fact that it's not going into fast idle and stalls on backoff leads me to believe it's gummed up Vas, not uncommon.

Yeah, I'll definitely do this asap.

Question: Do I need to get like a gasket of somesort for replacment once I take it off Ian?

Cheers.

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Ordered the gasket for it and got a few while I was at it which should be in Thursday so coming weekend i'll tinker around a little before I take it down to my Mechanic to install my Temp gauge.

Form memory the angle by which you take the idle stepper out looked a bit unco, should I take off the throttlebody pipe to make life a lot easier or should it be sufficient with it on Ian?

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
I ran a ground right to the battery cable. Once I realized ground problems I cleaned up all the grounds. Just a suggestion, but them other guys know more about these cars than I do that's for sure.

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Checked for codes both before and after clearing them.

Prior to reseting the codes:

Code 11 was produced.

Looking at the Cygnus reference:

CodeError
11 ECU(+B)

Diagnosis
Momentary interruption in power supply to ECU.

Trouble Area
Ignition switch circuit
Ignition switch
Main relay circuit
Main relay
ECU

Which sounds about right with a bad earth of some sort.

I'll have my Auto electrician check out the ignition and main relay's for a fault.

After resetting the codes I obtained a code 51.

I know my A/C is busted but could there be a possibility it's anything to do with the Throttle Position Sensor/Circuit considering the rough idle/occasionally stall symptoms?

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Update:

Still waiting on the air hose from Toyota to arrive so that I can remove the Idle Speed Controller and connect it back properly as the current vacuum hose has a split on the end and didn't want to touch it until I have a replacement.

Will post progress after that.