Starter wont dissengage

ATL88Supra

The Asshole
Jun 22, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
well i have tried everything checked the TSRM till my eyes are popping out of my head all the wiring is in place i got no codes and i know i got the right starter because its the one that was on the car when i got it i even had it tested and it passed i don't know what else to do anyone here had this problem after doing a rebuild ?

MA70Snowman

Oct 17, 2006
San Diego
ATL88Supra said:
well i have tried everything checked the TSRM till my eyes are popping out of my head all the wiring is in place i got no codes and i know i got the right starter because its the one that was on the car when i got it i even had it tested and it passed i don't know what else to do anyone here had this problem after doing a rebuild ?

can you clarify just a little more? is the starter acting like it has a constant voltage applied to it? (ie its stuck engaged w/ the flywheel?) if that is the case, it sounds like either there is a short in the starter itself, or somehow you have a continuous 12v applied to it.

does it disengage when the car is shut off? how about if you disconnect the battery? while its engaged can you crank the engine (start it w/ the key) ? look over the schematics and see what could be causing it to stay in that position. answer the above questions and you'll have an answer.

MA70Snowman

Oct 17, 2006
San Diego
ATL88Supra said:
here is what it will do, i start the car up and it sounds like a grinding gear like its not pulling the gear back all the way or something
but i know the dogon thing is spring loaded

so the car does start then? and i'm w/ pulling the starter and the tranny, what leads you to believe it is NOT the tranny? also if it is STUCK engaged put a jumper straight to the starter solinoid from the battery if you hear a pop thats the spring pushing it OUT, when you remove power you should hear it retract, if either of those sounds are missing somethings up w/ the starter, in that case pull it and do a bench test off your battery. if its fine then i'd start looking at the tranny.