Starter problem

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
So I finally got my car running properly again a few weeks ago. Today I went to a friends house and when I was leaving the car wouldn't start. Pushed clutch in, turn key, all I heard was a very rapid clicking. Not sure if this was the solenoid popping or if it was the gear on the starter not properly engaging with the flywheel.

To try and get the car started, I put the car in gear and released the parking brake allowing the car to roll back a few feet. I tried to start the car again and there was no change. Same clicking, same rate.

I then hit the starter with a long bar. I know this is supposed to help if the brushes are worn out. However, I thought that the common symptom for that problem was a single click. Anyways, hitting the starter did not help. After randomly trying the starter for at least 5 min, the car randomly decided to start like normal.

Something I should note is that I replaced the starter last summer and have not had a starting issue until now. What should be my first course of action?

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
1st check that all connections are tight. Then proceed to take the starter off and have it checked. It seems like you just had a problem when yo were trying to leave your friends house -- which to me is good only because you haven't had any other problems, it's most likely your starter, but just have it checked.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Solo1Supra;1129802 said:
Did you check for corrosion on the battery terminals? Sounds like it might be a bad connection.

I just noticed that there is some corrosion on the negative terminal. I will clean it and give it a shot.

EDIT: Thanks Joe. That seems to be all that was wrong. When I pulled off the red cover it was ALL corrosion. Spent 5 min with some baking soda and a tooth brush and all seems to be well again.

Last edited:

james_9876

Rehabilitation time...
Aug 1, 2007
Spartanburg, SC
Yeah, just need to make 'cleaning the terminals' part of your oil change routine, because the corrosion can actually start going down the wire inside the insulation and cause a high resistance which will give you the same problem.

Later!

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Loose connections cause corrosion. Corrosion causes hard starts. Now that you have them clean, make sure you have them good and tight.

Once that is good, watch your amp gauge to be sure you are getting a good charge to the battery.