Starter "click" issue... tried almost everything

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Got the starter click issue a bit ago (after a rebuild). Swapped starters w/a known good one, replaced the 0 gauge ground at the battery (in the hatch), replaced battery & terminals, replaced power wire to the starter (from a distribution block in the engine bay. Still getting the click...

Starter relay seems okay, so what else can I check? Would the starter solenoid wire cause an issue with the starter not having enuff cranking power (measured 11.74 volts, the last time I checked when cranking)? Just tired of replacing things and could use a bit of guidance... thanx for your help.

Before changing the starter, I was able to crank when the car was in gear sometimes. After I swapped starters, cranked okay (once or twice), but then click started happening again.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It's the starter Solinoid wire from ign switch to starter. It goes through the body harness and the engine harness.

Can either change that wire or just do the relay trick.

JPsToyota

Sep 17, 2008
East-Central, FL
hvyman;1860243 said:
It's the starter Solinoid wire from ign switch to starter. It goes through the body harness and the engine harness.

Can either change that wire or just do the relay trick.

I'm with him, time to get a relay and activate it off of your stock ignition-solenoid power wire, because that's all it's good for at this point. I tried everything from cleaning the ignition switch and starter relay contacts to putting a new starter in the car, nothing fixed it for me until I just activated the solenoid off of a relay getting power from a battery terminal connection.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Sounds like the way to go... When you refer to using a relay, is that the same as the 7M/MKIII starter relay mod (I remember seeing something on this a few years back). If it is, I'll search for the write-up and get this biotch back on the road!!

Thanks... I was goin' nuts trying to figure out "What else haven't I done?"

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Do this before doing any relay mod.

Take a ground wire from the ground terminal and connect it to the engine block. There is a spot for it on the intake side by the engine mount for a eyelet.

If the solenoid is clicking, it is getting a signal and usually when people do a battery relocation and just ground to the chassis, the starter does this if there isn't a ground to the engine block. Try it before doing anything else.