STALX Supra - The Ultimate Time Attack MKIII

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
mark1987supra;1867970 said:
What size exhaust piping are you running? I am seeing the torque to hp crossover point around 5000 rpm in the first graph, and around 5200 rpm in the second. It looks like you are being restricted by something up top not allowing you to make peak power. I was there @ the dyno and was wondering the same thing after your dyno.

Hey Mark

I overheard Larry saying "hes got a lot of back-pressure" after seeing the dyno graph. If I was not restricted - there was a slim chance for me to beat your 580+WHP on the board :) (Just joking)

I guess it may be the point where I have to replace my HKS Dragger that I got as a gift 10 years ago for my NissanSentra:) Not even sure what the OD is ,but it is not more than 2.7inch and my DP and rest of the pipes are 3inch.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
A few pics from "theNet"

Car on Elmhurst Toyota Show:

StalxSupra-on-Elmhurst.jpg

StalxSupra-on-Elmhurst2.jpg

And one in front of the SoundPerformance (with my Wife'n'Baby )

Family.jpg

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
A little car crash yestarday at Black Hawk Farms:

Video:

[video=youtube;2M3zqlpte14]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M3zqlpte14&lc=w6OZjHyOdubhOWK9ZdhpR0pDi-4iklaXlwk71suvQRA&lch=email&feature=em-comment_received[/video]

Result:

SupraCrashed.jpg

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
Damn that sucks Alex. Luckily it looks like it was not too bad, but that is a fast corner on that track. I really wish that track had proper run off and walls instead of trees. There are some places where if you go off you will be hitting large trees, which is not good.

I'm not sure if you know this but MCSCC kicked me and a few of my friends out for the year over some major BS so we won't be back this year, and maybe ever again. It sucks because I was looking forward to running with you some more.

Also I wanted to point out I saw you switched down to 3rd gear in the carousel, I think you will find this is faster once you figure out exactly when and how much throttle to feed in as you are exiting. The car is on the edge but very manageable, at least in my mk4. In the high speed left hander where the crash happened, after watching my in car after my last event and analyzing it to prepare for my next event (which I got kicked out and can't do...) I think the fastest way through that corner is a really late turn in with a slightly slower entry (late apex), and then hug the inside of the corner curbing and track out to about mid track at exit being under close to full throttle the whole time. I noticed as I went faster and faster that my car did similar things to what yours did during the crash and wanted to push wide at the exit. I had a slight 4th gear slide going on in 2 of my slower runs at my last event right there due to this.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
supradjza80;1869404 said:
Damn that sucks Alex. Luckily it looks like it was not too bad, but that is a fast corner on that track. I really wish that track had proper run off and walls instead of trees. There are some places where if you go off you will be hitting large trees, which is not good.

I'm not sure if you know this but MCSCC kicked me and a few of my friends out for the year over some major BS so we won't be back this year, and maybe ever again. It sucks because I was looking forward to running with you some more.

What?!? I did not know that you were banned from these events... I've just talked to my buddy with the silver s2k who reads their forums and he told be the story - it really is a bunch of BS. To be honest I never really liked the MSCC format with standingStill starts ,at a minimum the timing should be after the first corner and ideally NASA/RedLine/WTA format should be used with flying laps. Have you ever considered doing NASA time trials?

supradjza80;1869404 said:
Also I wanted to point out I saw you switched down to 3rd gear in the carousel, I think you will find this is faster once you figure out exactly when and how much throttle to feed in as you are exiting. The car is on the edge but very manageable, at least in my mk4. In the high speed left hander where the crash happened, after watching my in car after my last event and analyzing it to prepare for my next event (which I got kicked out and can't do...) I think the fastest way through that corner is a really late turn in with a slightly slower entry (late apex), and then hug the inside of the corner curbing and track out to about mid track at exit being under close to full throttle the whole time. I noticed as I went faster and faster that my car did similar things to what yours did during the crash and wanted to push wide at the exit. I had a slight 4th gear slide going on in 2 of my slower runs at my last event right there due to this.

I was going back and forth between swithing to 3th and going 4th on the carousel ,I found a way to manage the car a lot better on third by using more of the track after turn 3. I have to downshift to 3th for 3d anyways ,so why not do it earlier.

I always went 4th gear ,WOT on turn 4 with a little late apex (still pretty close to the orange mark) ,but never had a problem with the 275 or the 255 tires. I run a lot more aggressive setup than yours with -3.1 front camber and -2 rear ,so I get a some overseer which is very controllable. I'm still not sure why the car underSteered towards the exit of the corner ,I had the steering wheel steady and for no apparent reason the front gave away. There might've been something on the track ,or I hit a bad surface point...

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
Yeah the whole situation with MCSCC sucks. I am considering doing NASA TT stuff next year however, I am not sure I want to race my mk4 with completely open passing that they have. I couldn't stand to see it get damaged.

What tires were you on for this event?

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
supradjza80;1869421 said:
Yeah the whole situation with MCSCC sucks. I am considering doing NASA TT stuff next year however, I am not sure I want to race my mk4 with completely open passing that they have. I couldn't stand to see it get damaged.

What tires were you on for this event?

Open passing is also an issue for me ,it makes the time attack somehow like a w2w.

My tires were 255/40ZR-17 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec (on all corners). These are 4 years old tires that I normally use for practice and track days ,I really did not know that we were going to have timed runes yestarday and did not have my racing tires with me (Nitto NT1 275).

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
I met Alex at CHI2K12.. Awesome guy, full of info, I hope you are ok after your incident Alex.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
I knew that there must've been a reason for the under-steer ,and after I got my car on the lift today to assess the damages … now I know for sure -> 2 of the LCA bolts were quite loose ,which IMP was causing the front to lose probably as much as 1 degree camber in hard turns ,not only that but the total camber swing was probably as much as 2 degrees. The reason is more than likely the JIC Magic brace ,that I will gladly cut with the angle grinder tomorrow!

JIC Magic - RicY POS:

2012-09-05_18-20-10_594.jpg

2012-09-05_18-20-16_382.jpg

2012-09-05_18-20-32_367.jpg

2012-09-05_18-20-32_367.jpg

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
spiller;1872658 said:
shit! dont want that happening at the track. what sort of damage was done mate? What happened?

Mostly undercarriage damage ,I don't have time to fix this before the next time attack event but luckily I have a close family friend who still owns a body show and he will take care of this. He also modded the subframe for a few mm of extra track and castor set by LCA ,got some lock washers and torqued the bolts with 20% over FSM. I will get the car aligned and will test it on the track.

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
hey! Alex
have you bougth the racing parts blueprints?

my engine fails last year so I was building a new engine so no time to think in the suspensions but what is the reason you are using the Gik magic lower control arm??

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
josbeat;1873196 said:
hey! Alex
have you bougth the racing parts blueprints?

my engine fails last year so I was building a new engine so no time to think in the suspensions but what is the reason you are using the Gik magic lower control arm??

Hey Jose,

I did not purchase the MA70 GroupA blueprints ,becouse:

1. it was too much money for me to do it alone

2. I could not find concrete evidences that this blueprints were used for EU MA70 racing programs other than MIL (Shell Toyota MIL racing program)... The seller actually claims that Benami (Benami Toyota Schweiz Racing Program) and "R.A.S." (Hans Hayers Racing Program) used the same parts.

BTW the blueprints should be quite complete but they only include suspension components because Engine builds were done "homologation free" ,even for the factory racing teams that meant totally different in Japan and Europe - for example 7m-GTE was build by TRD with magnesium oil pan ,and TTE (TRD Europe) used dry sump for their engines. All the engines build had one and only one thing in common ,their engines kept failing from the Holed Piston debut for the 7m-GTE on the international racing scene (on Hans Hayers RAS supra) to the BHG for TRD Supra on 1990 SPA Enduro race...