sputtering problems

ginglesturbo

Boost Nazi
Dec 1, 2007
Charlotte N.C.
ok i donno what the hell is wrong with my car...it keeps cutting out when i floor it...its not when i boost because i can hit the gas slowly and it seems to boost ok. but when i floor it it cuts out reay bad...ive done the hg and it was runnin good till this. i cant figure it out...its not a boost leak and i have set the timing with the tsrm steps and it still sputters when i floor it. i dono what it is...any ideas??

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
I know you said you don't think it's boost related, but check all your vac lines and IC pipes just to be sure. Also, check your spark plugs.

ginglesturbo

Boost Nazi
Dec 1, 2007
Charlotte N.C.
ive checked and checked the hard pipes...no mods...just hard pipes...stock turbo...hks bov...3' exhaust...just a few basics for now...im gonna change the plugs and wires soon as i get them...they are supposed to be on the way....but its only when i floor it like a timing related issue...what happens when a cps goes out?

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
When you floor it, it'll sputter for a second, then rev and pull like it's supposed to? Check for oil or coolant in the plug holes. A tune up probably wouldn't hurt...

Check your codes, just for shits and giggles.

ginglesturbo

Boost Nazi
Dec 1, 2007
Charlotte N.C.
check engine lights not on...will it throw codes with no light? i just did the hg like a month ago and got new plugs then...im using the same 1989 toyota wires...i got new ones on the way...and they are msd...im probably gonna go with autolite platinums....and na once it starts sptuttering i let off i ...i dono what it will do if i keep floorin it...ill try it on the way to work and hope it dont blow

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
ginglesturbo;906338 said:
check engine lights not on...will it throw codes with no light? i just did the hg like a month ago and got new plugs then...im using the same 1989 toyota wires...i got new ones on the way...and they are msd...im probably gonna go with autolite platinums....and na once it starts sptuttering i let off i ...i dono what it will do if i keep floorin it...ill try it on the way to work and hope it dont blow

ViR2;906400 said:
do you have any black smoke coming? Because it sounds like your car is receiving too much fuel ;)

hmmm why possibly b/c of a boost leak?!?!? :3d_frown:

Also, do not use platinum plugs you will just be throwing away money. get cheap copper plugs, they will last longer, run better, and be much cheaper than any plat plug you get.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
what are you plugs gapped to? when my car had those mods and more i had no sputtering troubles

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
I just noticed you have a BOV and not a bypass. Check the spring to make sure it's fully closed and isn't allowing metered air out. This definitely sounds like a boost leak to me.

You need to make a boost leak tester, and use it. Check your plugs, too.

ginglesturbo

Boost Nazi
Dec 1, 2007
Charlotte N.C.
na no black smoke...they are stock injectors and everything(pump&reg. )i dont get it!!! i cant floor it .....still too cold for me to work on it here plus its rainin...im gonna get my plugs and wires in a couple days i hope that will fix it...could it be maf fukin up?

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
It is possible that a code can be stored without the check engine light being on.

There could be a lot of different things that can cause these symptoms. Tps could be misaligned, cps could be malfunctioning, or the wiring could be shorting, fouled plugs, faulty wires, bad O2 sensor, etc. Timing could be off, as well.

Then again, it could be a boost or vacuum leak...

ginglesturbo

Boost Nazi
Dec 1, 2007
Charlotte N.C.
ok ill check my codes tomorow...thanks for that i thought it had to be on im gonna make theat tester you showed me and test it for leaks also...the bov is a super sequential i hate it...its too loud for me. i want a recurclating one...whats the best one to get? i hope its not cps...i had a little trouble timing it.but i thought it was normal...

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
I don't know anything about bov's, so hopefully one of our wise turbo people will tell you a good one to get, and why.

Sounds to me like you need the new wires.

Iwantmkiii posted the link for boost leak testing.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
I have an HKS BPV, no compressor surge at 15PSI on a 62-1 CT. However, I have a little at lower boost levels (short shifting, quick throttle bursts, etc)

ginglesturbo

Boost Nazi
Dec 1, 2007
Charlotte N.C.
mmmmso maby it is my bov....dam hks pos!! i guess im gonna find a factory one and put it back on and see what happens...i still havent got my wires so ill do the boost leak thingy today and chck my codes...ill post back up what i find

ginglesturbo

Boost Nazi
Dec 1, 2007
Charlotte N.C.
ok i checked codes i have codes 14 24 34 41 43 and 51 51 and 43 dont matter tho because i have a ghetto starter and no ac...code 14 worries me...but could it be loose ic pipes making34 go off? .and 24 is just a intake temp sensor...where is that located under the hood? ..help please....