sputter hesitation.

I bought the car, and it's been running great. i replaced headgasket, arps 80 Ft/lps, exhaust gasket, intake, no cat, new o2, bought used w58 and new slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder, brake master cylinder, new toyota flywheel, oem clutch, ehaust manifold, new exhaust gaskets. Took care of all the basic problems and it's been running good. But when i start the car, i let the fuel pump prime, start the car and let it run for 45 seconds or so. Then when i start to leave in 1st, i get to about 1300 rpms after the clutch is released, and the car kinda hops/ sputters/ hesitates until about 1700 rpms, then starts to climb like normal. it does this about 2 or 3 times. then it engages fine, but it's only if the car is cold. My timing is advanced to 12 degrees, and the block was machined a good bit compared to my other supras and head also, making the compression go up. And i changed spark plugs last night, and i gapped them correctly. Champions, platinums. This helped a lot on the sputter, but it still happens every so often.

Also, If your distibutor has a lot of play, could it cause a sputter?

I'm just trying to get all the little tweeks out. :]

89Joe

POTATOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
What do you mean by play with the distributor? There's a little notch on the side of the distributor where you put a bolt through to tighten it to the head if that's what you mean.

89Joe

Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
Well you might want to look into a new distributor. I had had issues with stalling when mine was on it's way out. Also, there is a plug that connects to the distributor that has exposed wires that can corrode over time check them out. Not saying that's the issue but you could look into it. Also check for any codes, that could narrow things down if there's an issue.

Maybe check your timing, something could always be off.

89Joe

Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
I don't recall if there was any play last time I changed mine, and I don't think it's normal because you'd want it right on so it can deliver that spark; but again, I don't know for sure. Have you checked what the teeth look like on the gear? If you do take the distributor out make sure you remember what position it was in or you'll have to reset the engine to TDC and time it.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
No that's not normal. Is that a new rotor? Can't tell if it is the rotor with the play or the distributor. Does the distributor shaft have the play or just the rotor?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
BlackDynamite;1271129 said:
I notice it only a few revs after warming up. So lets say i leave, i start off and it gets to 2000 rpms. it kinda hesitates, or acts like there is a mixture problem. If you have ever had a carburated vehicle that hasn't warmed up and you get on the gas, it will hesitate, then A burst of gooOoo!

I'm gonna get a new distributor and maf to see if it fixes it.
I have both, used but in good shape, want a package deal :)

PCguylovesSupra

Happy go lucky......
Jun 18, 2007
Southwest MI
Your issue sounds similar to something I had. I checked my TPS with my mulimeter, and between the TPS and ECU. Basically I had the TPS replaced, end of problem. Of course this is after I replaced my distributor too. Good luck.

I have a horrible sputter/hesitation as well.

When I drive, only when I drive, I press the gas pedal, there is a delay, then the car sputters and carries upward in revving RPM. The Rev suddenly stops at a certain point, at about 2.5 Rpm, and 3.5 Rpm and 4.5 Rpm and 5.5 Rpm.

I am using an SAFC controller, wired as a piggy back computer to the stock ECU. Should I remove this device completely? or do I need to tune the car still with my mods?

Lexus AFM with 7mgte Black electronic box installed in Lexus 1uz V8 housing
550cc Injectors
HKS Blow off Valve (Blows into Atmosphere)
GT35r Turbo (Godspeed Ebay Turbo/2nd one in a month)
Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator (Vacuum Regulated)
Walbro Fuel Pump

Please help. I am in Tacoma WAshington. If someone could even just look at it, please.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Not only that ^^but this is the GE section not GTE...but I would say yes you should tune it with the SAFC.

Check your connections on the SAFC.