Spray Paint for bumper...

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
I'm not a painter by no means, but get a paint designed for plastic, if its temp I wouldn't worry to much, but YOU MUST PREP it PROPERLY. make sure it's even, rough if up lightly, and make sure it is free of dust, loose paint, and grease, oil yadda yadda yadda. smooth steady strokes, let go of the valve/trigger before the end of your stroke.

find a chunk of plastic. prep it. and do a test, see if you like it before doing it to your car.

ohh many light coats is better

86yota

Feb 17, 2008
upper darby ,PA
well its a little more then just spray paint man...from experience speaking..
Your going to want to sand it all down and clean it with soap and water.

Now depending on if you want a flat color or gloss. You have choose what color you need your didnt say i dont know. I have used duplicolor,krylon and a few others Most auto stores carry automotive paint that works just ask.

make sure you dont stay in one spot with the nozzle you dont want to make it run just kinda cover it in layers, left to right. If you have runs your gunna have to sand it out and repaint. If have patience and like doing your own work you can do it.

kingsupra

Jul 14, 2006
d-town,colorado
yeah most automotive spray paints work, its hard to match colors though. and make sure you keep enough space between the can and the car. i seen a lot of people spray way to closely where the paint starts to run as well

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i use rustoleum to paint my front bumper, fenders, and nose piece, and its a little dull (because i only used semi-gloss) but it does a fine job. but i bought the can and used a realy spray guy to lay it down. but i'll be honest, i did like no sanding or anything, i just wanted to get it done, and because the rustoleum is so thick, it made a nice smooth layer.

wade3570

Jan 7, 2007
tallahassee, florida
i used something years ago called "Plasti-Kote". it's designed to flex with plastics and rubbers. I picked up at a local auto store & cost about the same as regular spray paint. As with any paint job, prep is 90% of the finish, so sand everything very well first. Good luck! (sorry-i don't have any pics)

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Plasti-kote is a brand name, has nothing to do with painting plastic, lol.

The following has worked well for me, I am also NOT a painter but have gotten decent results with spray cans. There are probably other more professional methods, but this works on a budget.

If you want a halfway decent color match use the Plasti-kote Import Color spray cans. They can be found at Autozone and even some department stores (Walmart?). If you have a solid color (super red II, Super white etc) you can get away without clear coating after the base coat. If you have a pearl color you will want to clear coat afterwards.

Prep by wet sanding with 400 grit. Then use a filler primer to help even out the spots where your original paint is worn through to the plastic. Wet sand after primer with 600 wet. Wash with soap and water, dry COMPLETELY (let it sit in the sun for an hour or so), use a tack cloth to pick up and left over dust and get ready to shoot it.

Mask the area well, hit it with a tack cloth again afterwards. When spraying use a steady pace with long sweeping motions. Overlap your strokes and keep an eye as the color goes down, you are looking for even coverage. Dont try to get it on too thick all at once. Several lighter coats work better than one heavy coat.

Word of warning though. Buying sandpaper, masking tape, primer, paint etc adds up real fast. You might be suprised at how much you will spend on paint cans to get a good coat. In some cases its actually cheaper to pull the parts off you want painted, and take em to a shop and have them sprayed. Tell them you want them as cheap as possible and that you were going to otherwise just rattle can em, and they should be able to get it done for less than you might think.

TomFraser

theWeezL;1082159 said:
Plasti-kote is a brand name, has nothing to do with painting plastic, lol.

The following has worked well for me, I am also NOT a painter but have gotten decent results with spray cans. There are probably other more professional methods, but this works on a budget.

If you want a halfway decent color match use the Plasti-kote Import Color spray cans. They can be found at Autozone and even some department stores (Walmart?). If you have a solid color (super red II, Super white etc) you can get away without clear coating after the base coat. If you have a pearl color you will want to clear coat afterwards.

Prep by wet sanding with 400 grit. Then use a filler primer to help even out the spots where your original paint is worn through to the plastic. Wet sand after primer with 600 wet. Wash with soap and water, dry COMPLETELY (let it sit in the sun for an hour or so), use a tack cloth to pick up and left over dust and get ready to shoot it.

Mask the area well, hit it with a tack cloth again afterwards. When spraying use a steady pace with long sweeping motions. Overlap your strokes and keep an eye as the color goes down, you are looking for even coverage. Dont try to get it on too thick all at once. Several lighter coats work better than one heavy coat.

Word of warning though. Buying sandpaper, masking tape, primer, paint etc adds up real fast. You might be suprised at how much you will spend on paint cans to get a good coat. In some cases its actually cheaper to pull the parts off you want painted, and take em to a shop and have them sprayed. Tell them you want them as cheap as possible and that you were going to otherwise just rattle can em, and they should be able to get it done for less than you might think.

thanks for the reply... this will be my guide :)