Sports Bike....I have questions.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
OneJoeZee said:
So you believe it's no different to learn on a Hayabusa or a GS500 too?

Awesome.
To add to your ninja edited post, you can also learn to drive a Viper just as easily as your mom's geo metro (example). In fact, although not quite to the same scale, I thought learning to drive in my Supra was significantly easier then it was with a car that had barely enough power to get up to 60 on the highway.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
mkIIIman089 said:
To add to your ninja edited post, you can also learn to drive a Viper just as easily as your mom's geo metro (example). In fact, although not quite to the same scale, I thought learning to drive in my Supra was significantly easier then it was with a car that had barely enough power to get up to 60 on the highway.

Not quite to the same scale? How about not even close.

It's a good thing people with asinine logic like this don't teach driver's training or MSF courses.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Maybe the best proof of starting small is taken from motoGP racers. None of them start out on the big bikes, they ALL work their way up. If its so great to start on a big bike why dont GP racers do it? Also, if super sports are the only way to have 'fun' why then do they race 250s?

Also, why hasnt anyone mentioned the video I linked to in my other post. That kid didnt show signs that he lost self control, he just had no skill and it cost him.

As for the car analogy, I remember reading a post here about someone letting their mom drive the supra. She almost wrecked around a turn when the boost kicked in and she wasnt ready(didnt know). You cant be expected to learn to drive the same way in a geo metro as you are in a turbo supra. Its a whole different ball game learning to drive a car and learning to drive a powerfull car. Again factors like locking up the brakes are huge when learning.

This is a dead end argument because neither side is looking to change opinions. The numbers speak for themselfs, go try to insure an SS bike as your first bike. Theres a reason the insurance is so high after all.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
Wow...this threat grew quite quickly. Thanks for the replies(and don't get this thread locked). So what bike can I get that would still be sporty but just small enough to learn on? I'm sorry, but I don't want to be seen on those old ugly bike my co-worker calls "classic"....eww!

NastyNate

Jun 21, 2007
SA,TX
Clueless said:
Wow...this threat grew quite quickly. Thanks for the replies(and don't get this thread locked). So what bike can I get that would still be sporty but just small enough to learn on? I'm sorry, but I don't want to be seen on those old ugly bike my co-worker calls "classic"....eww!

SV 650. That's what i currently have, it is also my first bike. It's forgiving but can still hang with the big dogs, well except on straights. You can get them for a bit more more than a 500 ninja or GS500 and you won't outgrow it near as quick. plus it has torque.....

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
I hear good things about the SV650's. People find them very comfortable, easy and fun to ride from what I've gathered, and they wont kill your wallet.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
OneJoeZee said:
Not quite to the same scale? How about not even close.

It's a good thing people with asinine logic like this don't teach driver's training or MSF courses.
Oops, my mistake. A bigger more powerful car is not the same as a bigger more powerful bike. :nono:

buckshotglass

I love all your sounds.
Your first bike just needs to be one that stops correctly, and goes pretty good.
The CC # is not really something to go by.
A BMW R series 1150 is not a fast bike, but a Triumph Daytona 675 will run with just about anything.
When I get on a new bike, I take it somewhere directly, and learn the brakes. Do panic stops. Lots of them.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I suggest the people getting the big bikes go out to a track. You'll see just how much easier it is to ride a 600 compared to your liter bike, as novices pass you by. If you don't think this has anything to do with street riding, think again.

NastyNate

Jun 21, 2007
SA,TX
MassSupra89 said:
I hear good things about the SV650's. People find them very comfortable, easy and fun to ride from what I've gathered, and they wont kill your wallet.

that's exactly why I went with one. I have an '02 'S' model, and the knowledge that people have with them is amazing. The afertmarket is there for them it just takes a bit of researching. I had mine up to 140 on straights last time I rode. Hell I was passing guys on turns that were riding gixxer 1k's, Ninja's, F4i's, and a whole mess of others. Some turns I would enter doing 90-100 and come out around 120 - 130. They would always catch up but I kept passing them. On a side note we had a guy out that day on a modded 'Busa hit 214 on a straight. :aigo: :aigo: Another on a gixxer 150 hit 170 completely stock.:aigo:
after I get mine repainted and what not I'm gonna get rid of it for a supra, hopefully...:icon_bigg

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Clueless said:

Something I think new riders need to remember, your first bike isnt going to be your Real bike. Its just a learner that youll get rid of later on. All the plastics on the bike you want cost a fortune(go on ebay and price out that stuff). Youll likely drop your first bike at least once just in the garage or whatever. A simple drop(tip over) can cost 100$s in repairs if your bike is covered in plastics.

If you must have a sporty bike look into the ninja500, it looks ugly but has a bullet proof motor. It has got the power to go over 100mph, youll beat any car off the line. Get and older one so its cheap to buy, when you go to sell it youll get all your money back basically.

Dont finance your first bike, worst mistake youll ever make financially. Also, remember gear is not cheap for just the basics so check into that cost as well. Before anything take the MSF course, its not that expensive and teachs you everything. Its better to go into the course with 0 experience so you have no bad habbits to break, you learn everything the correct way the first time.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
TOMA70E said:
Actually I did something very similiar on a minibike.

Except it was into the side of a house. :biglaugh:

I doubt the mini bike was able to go over 100mph into the side of the house like the sv can:naughty:

Shawndude

Mar 30, 2005
Van BC
I've ridden bikes since I've been 16, I'm 34 now.

When my brother asked me whether to get an R6 (600cc) or R1 (1000cc) I told him to get the R1, and that bikes have "throttles" and you can go as slow or as fast as your wrist dictates.

He didn't believe me, and I pushed him to get the R1. He got the R1, and 3 days after getting it, he thanked me and told me that I was right and he would have always regretted getting the smaller bike. He's been happily riding it for the last 6 years.

Only bad thing about getting a "top dog" bike is that you have nowhere to "move up to".

Whatever you do, only thing keeping you from getting yourself killed is the mush between your ears, regardless of what you're straddling. You either wise up quick or you become an organ donor.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Clueless said:
I've been thinking about getting a bike, I currently don't have a motorcycle license, but would like to get a sports bike. I was told to get a smaller used one to start out with and upgrade later, how would one know he's ready to upgrade? How hard is it to learn? What cost are involved? What things do I need to look out for? What bike would you recommend? Eventually, I like to get something like this...

2.jpg

...or this...

1.jpg

Buells make excellent bikes to learn on. You don't need any throttle to take off from a standstill. Just let out the clutch and your rolling. They have so much low end torque, it is hard to stall them. I think my 1200 has something like 105 ftlbs or so to the wheel.