Spongy Brakes all of a sudden?

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
Well here it is. I changed my rotors today (took all of 1 hour :D ) And ever since i did that, my brakes feel a little spongy. What is weird is that i didn't touch the lines at all, and no fluid got leaked.
The brakes still stop good, it is just unusual to have this spongy feel.
What could have caused this?
Oh and i already bed in my brakes too :)
-Tom

Shima

I'v got Supra powers
May 23, 2007
carlisle
MK3Brent;1124947 said:
Did you replace the pads with sponges?

hahaha...

did any air get into the brake line? could always just re bleed them? worth a shot :biglaugh:

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
MK3Brent;1124947 said:
Did you replace the pads with sponges?

Har har har :biglaugh:
figgie;1124946 said:
What type of break fluid are you using (DOT 3, 4, 4/5, 5 etc)?

I am using DOT 3
Shima;1124956 said:
hahaha...

did any air get into the brake line? could always just re bleed them? worth a shot :biglaugh:
I didn't touch the brake lines at all. the whole reason i am wondering is how the air got in the lines... Nothing was touched as far as fluids go.
tlo86;1124994 said:
bleed brakes.
I will try that tomorrow then.

mischief7m

Broke and Lovin It
Sep 13, 2007
Central Ma / Cape Cod Ma
not trying to hijack or anything, but i just got in from doing my brakes.

pads, and had the rotors turned (lemme just say F**K whoever decided to use those little banana springs to keep the pads seated)

anyway, got them all done, bled, greased the pins as best i could without seperating the caliper, and got the wheels back on. and took it for a ride.

drove about 2 miles, and the brakes felt fine. stopped, and my friend said "DUDE I SEE SMOKE!!!" my worst nightmare, grabbed the extinguisher, and got ready, turns out it was just a little fluid from bleeding. but my wheel was far too hot to touch, never mind the rotor its self.

does anyone have a clue why?? or what to check?? i know i probably need to seperate the calipers and really grease the slides, but do you guys think that should fix it, or any other ideas?

thanks, and again, didnt mean to hijack just seemed better than starting a new thread

-Trevor

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
I've had a caliper stick before after changing pads and bleeding the system. Something was screwy with caliper, had to have it thoroughly cleaned and rebuilt as the piston wouldn't retract at all after I applied the brakes the first time after the brake work.

May not be anything like what you're experiencing, but that's what I had to do to fix it.

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
CryoSlash;1124936 said:
Well here it is. I changed my rotors today (took all of 1 hour :D ) And ever since i did that, my brakes feel a little spongy. What is weird is that i didn't touch the lines at all, and no fluid got leaked.
The brakes still stop good, it is just unusual to have this spongy feel.
What could have caused this?
Oh and i already bed in my brakes too :)
-Tom

Exact same thing happened to my car. I went with the brembo/porterfields, never touched the lines. That first day the brakes were terrible, then it was fine for 2 months. Got new SS brake lines. I could hardly stop the car. Lines were bled numerous times, but it turned out to be a bad master brake cylinder. My guess it was going bad when I put the brembos/PFs on.

Here's the crappy news - this master brake cylinder is already going bad. Just recently the brake pedal starts to slowly sink while sitting at a light. I tell you, the stuff that carquest sells is just junk!