spiller's JZA70 build-up

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
update time for this as it's been a while.

Car is currently in the shop having wiring done for this:
p1641310_1.jpg

While I am at it with the tuning, figured I would do these:
p1641310_2.jpg

and add this (to keep the purple theme going):
p1641310_3.jpg

Also, a couple of weeks ago I fitted some whiteline adjustable swaybars front and rear (still waiting on some aftermarket end links to come from the states to replace the crappy plastic items
p1641310_4.jpg

Car corners SO much better now, although the extra grip up the front compared to the rear doesnt do me any favours in regards to mid corner oversteer :eek:

And just a quick i-phone snap:
p1641310_5.jpg

Not much else has changed as I've been holding out for this wiring to be done. Everything (wiring wise) is being overhauled and hopefully the car will run shit loads better, and net some extra poke at the same time. I also have some 2JZ 440s to drop in at the same time too, although I doubt fuel will be an issue, it was more a matter of doing it because the intake manny has to come off anyway.

Unfortunately though, I've missed the boat re: track time for this year, the next prac day isnt until Feb 2011 so I have a bit of a wait ahead :(.

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
spiller;1641310 said:
update time for this as it's been a while.

Car is currently in the shop having wiring done for this:
p1641318_1.jpg

While I am at it with the tuning, figured I would do these:
p1641318_2.jpg

and add this (to keep the purple theme going):
p1641318_3.jpg

Also, a couple of weeks ago I fitted some whiteline adjustable swaybars front and rear (still waiting on some aftermarket end links to come from the states to replace the crappy plastic items
p1641318_4.jpg

Car corners SO much better now, although the extra grip up the front compared to the rear doesnt do me any favours in regards to mid corner oversteer :eek:

And just a quick i-phone snap:
p1641318_5.jpg

Not much else has changed as I've been holding out for this wiring to be done. Everything (wiring wise) is being overhauled and hopefully the car will run shit loads better, and net some extra poke at the same time. I also have some 2JZ 440s to drop in at the same time too, although I doubt fuel will be an issue, it was more a matter of doing it because the intake manny has to come off anyway.

Unfortunately though, I've missed the boat re: track time for this year, the next prac day isnt until Feb 2011 so I have a bit of a wait ahead :(.

Gives you plenty of time to get all your little bugs worked out :) nice build man.

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
thanks man, yeah still needs oil and powertseering coolers fitted before its ready for the track so maybe I can knock that off over christmas. I need your guys dollar to drop again though so I get a good exchange rate lol

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
bit of an update on this.

got the car back after a month off the road to have the autronic SM4 and other misc wiring done, followed by tuning. My wiring guy pulled out TONNES of excess crappy wiring that didnt need to be there, and wired in the autronic so that it looks as close to factory as possible. With the tuning, we tried to dial in 18 psi (through the autronic EBC) but the duty cycle on the 2JZ 440cc injectors was going up to 96%. No way 440s run out of puff on a 1JZ GTE with stock twins so it's obviously the stock fuel pump running out of puff. For the time being we have backed off the boost as much as possible (couldnt get it below 14.5psi) and even in the higher RPM it was still a bit lean. So, i'm currently driving around with a rev limit of 6000 RPM...makes some nice thunder from the exhaust at the rev limit :evil2:

The throttle response is brilliant, 10x better than before and the power feels alright. The dyno read 274kw at the rear hub (hub dyno) but its a bit of a happy one, feels more like 220-230rwkw. I have a walbro on order so as soon as I drop that in the boost will go back up to 18psi with a proper rev limit and we'll see how it feels then.

Also fitted the HKS cam gears and timing belt (gears are just at -4 on exhaust and -2 on intake at this stage - still stock cams).
p1653127_1.jpg

p1653127_2.jpg

and my rear braces (also have a half cage on its way from japan to fill the void left my the back seat).
p1653127_3.jpg

p1653127_4.jpg

also fitted my new factory gear boot and TRD gear knob
p1653127_5.jpg

and a couple of crappy pics after a wash
p1653127_6.jpg

p1653127_7.jpg

ReQuieM

malicious.com.au
Looking good dude. I need me one of those CF rear braces to match my front... Other priorities atm :p Nice half cage too BTW. I'd love one just like it, but I want the rear legs to bolt up to the strut tops, instead of through flimsy wheel well sheet metal. no off the self cage makers do it tho. Bitches.

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
thanks leigh, yeah i'm not sure why no one makes cages like that, i dont think i've ever seen one but it would work well i think. probably much more of a PITA to produce though.

ReQuieM

malicious.com.au
Maybe because the cages strut top mounts would be mad to fit a factory supras locations (via jig) but real world they have moved about enough to cause fit to be a problem... Maybe once I'm over this part of the build I'll go over the CAMs regs again and build one.

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
Dylan JZ;1656729 said:
looks fantastic as always, Spiller!
thanks Dylan!

ReQuieM;1656737 said:
Maybe because the cages strut top mounts would be mad to fit a factory supras locations (via jig) but real world they have moved about enough to cause fit to be a problem... Maybe once I'm over this part of the build I'll go over the CAMs regs again and build one.
Ok, do that and then send me the jig :p

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
thanks dude, I actually bought the shift knob off the shelf at Elmhurst Toyota when I was there picking up some other parts while I was in Chicago last Christmas. Great bunch of guys, I think it was only $35 with a 30% discount just for being a supraforums.com member. I couldnt believe it lol. If you wanted one, you could email kurt from elmhurst directly, very helpful guy. I cant think of his email off the top of my head though. Log onto supraforums and have a look in the sponsors section.

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
finally got the chance to debut the supra at the race track today for a practice session at Mallala. I've been running around like a mad man for the past 3 weeks trying to sort a lot of lose ends in order to prepare the car, which included sending it in for a full re-map. the final result with that was 255 rwkw at around 16 psi on the rollers...car feels quick with plenty of mid range.

so off to the track this morning to discover in the first session that after 2 laps the coil packs were arcing out with the heat soak due to their old age. that meant for the rest of the day, I could only get one full hot lap in without ignition break down at 4500 RPM. Incrediably frustrating but still a fun day out and I had the chance to work on my lines through a few sections. Overall i was very happy with how the car handled with the current suspension set up, nice and stable with good turn in and limited body roll.

Before i go out next time i'll need to sort this coil pack issue (how much are genuine toyota 1JZ coils new?). I also need an oil cooler if I want to go hard for more than few laps.

a few pics...

p1673290_1.jpg

p1673290_2.jpg

p1673290_3.jpg

p1673290_4.jpg

p1673290_5.jpg

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Looks like a lot of fun!

My coils have been arcing for some time as well, and I've been lazy in regard to fixing them. Anyhow, one can shrink wrap the stalks, epoxy them, or a combination of the two(-what I plan to do), and the problem will likely disappear. Many have done this in the past and even still.

After that and an oil cooler, I look forward to more results ;)

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
thanks guys, I'm going to pull the coils out on wednesday (day off) and inspect the extent of the damage and go from there. I think heat shrink will be the best method as its a bit neater than that epoxy or liquid electrical stuff. Hopefully it sorts the issue, hoping its not a deeper electrical issue and I have sunk enough money into this car's wiring system already, it should be running properly!

gats

Rebuilding... Slowly!
Mar 3, 2009
Sydney, NSW
Looking good Simon, shame about the ignition problems though...

So what is your best time around Mallala then?!?

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
Thanks Andrew, unfortunately I didn't get a chance to do any timing due to the above issue. My first time out there a couple of years ago in my RZ I managed 1.25s but this car has tones more suspension work and better tyres with the same amount of power so it should be capable of somewhere in the low 1.20 bracket with a bit of practice I reckon. Will need to sort out the LSD though as my current worn one was killing exit speeds! Otherwise the suspension set up felt really good, I dont think I'd change any of the settings other than a slightly more aggressive wheel alignment. Not too fussed with lap times though, it is nice to improve where you can but as long as I'm having fun and the car feels good I'll be a happy man...

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
Washed my car for the first time in 8 months on the weekend and took it for one last drive. After much deliberation (which included toying with the idea of dropping an L98 and T56 into it), ive decided to pull it off the road and put a 2JZ into it. I may as well go with an aftermarket turbo whilst the engine is out and choice of turbo is yet TBD but probably along the lines of a 35R (or something of similar size). My tuner has convinced me to change to a Haltech 2000 as he is more comfortable with this ECU and I thought I may as well rebuild the gearbox and strengthen up the front and rear sub-frames whilst at it. More or less go over the entire car and replace anything that needs replacing.

last snaps before it all gets pulled to pieces...

p1766206_1.jpg

p1766206_2.jpg

p1766206_3.jpg

im anticipating this to take at least 12 months. Shall see how we go.