Speedometer cable issues

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Anyone ever buy a lower speedo cable from rock auto? Seems the part doesn't quite work. It's missing the threaded end that clamps the cable to the gear assembly.

Anyone ever have this problem?

Pictured part
getimage.php.jpg
My part.
IMG_20120205_142401.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Perhaps you're supposed to re-use yours? Only way I can see doing that though would be to cut a thin section big enough to slip over the new cable... How much was that, if you don't mind my asking?

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
That's what I thought about doing, cutting a sectin out but there is no way that was the intended way of making this work. Had to destroy my old cable to get the old one off and it simpily won't fit over either end. Suppose I could have drilled the hole bigger but if this is a problem in the manufacturing of the part I didn't want to just let it slide for future buyers.

Rock auto got back with me quickly and is taking care of the issue. Great to deal with a company that cares.

Part was $8.69 IIRC. You'll find it in the "interior" part of the catalog for our cars. If you need a part number I'll try to find one for you later.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Wow, that's a lot cheaper than OEM, that's for sure. Unless you're talking about just the short cable, in which case OEM isn't terribly expensive.

Glad to see them taking care of the issue, I don't need the part number, but it's possible that others might if you care to post it. :)