Speedometer Cable Install Issue

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
This weekend I finally had some time to replace the long section of the speedometer cable on my '88 NA. After 226,000 miles it was time. (Plus, it was a chance to reinstall the ABS light which has been out since I bought the car 17 years ago...)

Most of the operation wasn't too annoying except for that rubber thingy that hooks into the firewall. I just couldn't get it pushed in right. The engine is in the way, so I couldn't get my hand in there and prying with various screwdrivers just didn't do it.

Does anyone have suggestions about how to get that rubber piece properly hooked into that hole? I'd rather not pull the intake and valve cover off. If that's the only way, maybe I'll get to it next weekend. I hate to leave it not installed right.

Asterix

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Ammonia dries rubber...

Ok, fine, you got me... it's simply not as fun to tell people.

Dish soap works well too.... I prefer to dilute it though.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
IJ.;1416935 said:
It wets it enough to be a lube for the install then dries leaving no residue unlike spit ewwww DNA and cooties! ;)

Ian, you need to change your status from "grumpy old man" to "silly little kid" :biglaugh:

Bri7man

"Yeah! Take the lemons.."
Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
I just use simple green or wd-40 to ease things in depending on what it is since they are both usually right next to me when I'm working on my car.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
Thanks, guys. I'll try glass cleaner (sans ammonia) first, then some Sil-Glide if that doesn't do it. I wish I had thought of that.

Update: I spritzed it with some Method brand surface cleaner and it went it without too much fuss. I'm sure it'll stay fine once the spritz dries. It took less than 10 minutes. I'm good for another 230,000 miles! Boy, a steady speedo needle is nice to have again!

Asterix

Last edited:

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Silicone spray is what I like to use for temporary rubber lubrication. Parts slide together well and then they stay there once it dries. Syl-glide/vaseline keep it slippery, so it might pop out later on.