special appearance package 1986.5?

suprafreak65

Sep 18, 2009
florida
hey all. I wasn't sure where to post this thread so apologies if its in the wrong spot. I bought my 86.5 like 5 years ago from this elderly Guy who bought it new. he was saying how rare it was and stuff when he sold it to me. I kinda just blew it off because thats what everyone will say to sale a supra because its true in a way. but I noticed there was a plaque or sticker that somehow survived on the passanger side in side the door on the body. that says special appearance package and something about its from Texas. I live in Florida lol. its a little faded. maybe its one of the first to hit the dealers? huh? :D so I tried calling Toyota but they wouldn't tell me a thing except what option it came with. any of you gurus wouldn't know how to get the production number from the vin would you? and what's this about auto trader saying that years worth 6400 in excellent condition? not looking to sell it at all but its kinda interesting if I can find out.. (PS: o can't find anything about special appearance package anywhere')

IanC

Jul 13, 2012
Maryville, TN
It's most likely a dealer installed package. Dealers will add things like pinstripes or other aftermarket appearance items and throw a fancy badge on to help sell slow selling vehicles or sell them for more.

suprafreak65

Sep 18, 2009
florida
Yeah thats what i was thinking but i wasnt sure if it was something out of the ordinary or not since its the 86.5. is there anyway to find what number the car was off the assembly line by looking at the vin tho? ill post pics of what im talking about.
and a correction with the texas thing. thats where its alittle faded but it actually says toyota so im dumb

suprafreak65

Sep 18, 2009
florida
p1863748_1.jpg

p1863748_2.jpg

p1863748_3.jpg

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
Got to say, the VIN says that is an 87. With modern VIN's, the year is always denoted by the 8th char from the right, in your case, the H. Also, November production would have certainly been for the 1987 model year as most models are released in about September of the preceeding year. I'd lean toward the dealer installed option as that label seems to refer at a glance to pinstriping, a very popular dealer option.

My 86.5's were both stamped as April 1986 and both have a "G" in the 8th place. My '91 had an M there. Overall production unit numbers should be reflected by the last 7 digits and would not reset every year. For instance, one of mine ends in ...0009250 so it looks like it was about the 9250th built. I havent heard this confirmed but I havent heard info to the contrary either, so unless one of the aforementioned gurus knows better, I'm sticking to my theory. :biglaugh:

Last edited:

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
Based on a google search for production numbers by model year, It looks like yours was about the 9507th 1987 produced.

33283 1986.5's built,
29907 1987's built.

suprafreak65

Sep 18, 2009
florida
dang right there on the plaque it says Nov. of 1986.5 but I can see it being an 87 but that's still good I'm in the top 10k lol I appreciate the help I googled for hours trying to figure that out

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
Yeah, yours squeaked into the top 10k of 87's. MK3 number 42,790 overall. ;)
The first cars from a given model year typically hit the dealerships in September of the year before, sometimes earlier. The first 1987's to be sold in the states would have been in driveways by September of 1986 had a couple thousand miles on them before your baby was even born.
Nice looking car, man. Very clean.

suprafreak65

Sep 18, 2009
florida
sorry for the extremely late reply. but thanks! I was thinking about selling it after I got my Turbo running. but after looking at this post again I had second thoughts.