Speaker box carpet

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
So instead of buying a $50 or more shallow mount speaker box to fit under the targa when it is in the trunk I have decided to build myself one out of 3/4 MDF. Making it 15x15x8. Which puts it right around .67cf. My only problem is......I don't know a good place to order the blue carpet from to match the interior carpet in the trunk. I have checked fleabay and there is no way on this dead earth that I am willing to pay $15 for shipping for a little bit of carpet. I have checked most of the local shops, and they all order their stuff online prebuilt, or use fiberglass. If anyone has any ideas I would gladly listen.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
salvage some blue carpet from a car at a junkyard? i think the celica's/corollas/camrys all used the same blue around this era, possible even the cressida.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Once I build it I will snap a pic of it. But it is going to be the run of the mill 15x15x8 with a hole in the front for a 10 shallow mount. If I like the way it turns out heck I might decide to build more and just sell them. lol. I will be building the box on Thursday. I am running and hiding all of my wires today after work. Gotta have something in this car besides all 4s.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Personally, I never bother trying to color match... I just make the floor of the hatch black, like the dash / shifter. Makes it a lot easier, and you can use the stretchy fabric that covers better.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
So the speaker box is finally finished and 90% of the wires are hidden. I will snap a few pics of it tomorrow. One main problem is, I used too large of screws ( construction screws ) on the box. My excuse is that it was my first time building one so I learned the hard way. It fits perfectly under the targa while it is in there and beats to all unholy hell. If anyone would like the measurements to build one of your own, here they are.
16x16x5.5
Top and bottom are 16x16
Front and back are 16x4
Sides are 14.5x4

That is for the Pioneer shallow mount 10" sub. Those measurements, with the sub, and the material inside will net under .70cf. If people don't want to spend the time building it, let me know and I can make a few. I have checked all around and have not been able to find any shops, or online that sell boxes to fit under our top perfectly like this does. I would charge $30 plus shipping. The one shop local here that said they would get me one, wanted $75 for it. Turn around on an order for one is 2-3 days. It would be sent with no carpet though since I have yet to carpet mine and I am very uncomfortable in doing that for someone else. I figure that if I can't see it under the targa then noone else can.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
i wanna remake mines to fit under the targa also. 2 years ago i made one for my 12 inch kicker competition in my N/A hard top. it now sits in the shed cause if my box is in my trunk then i cant take off the targa.
im interested in some pictures to get an idea of what you built.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
I will snap a pic or two in a few minutes but will have to upload them a bit later. Really busy right now. About to go and pick up our new mattress.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Hopefully this photobucket junk works.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Yeah I know there are cracks in the wood. I used larger screws then I should have. I know for next time. I will stay uncovered like that for a few more days until my buddy brings some over. Then I will sand it down and carpet it in grey. Not worried about getting it covered since it will be under the targa when I go out driving anyways.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
very nice. i was picturing something different. mine is 3 times the size. im gonna make one like yours or maybe a bit smaller for a harder hit or maybe a ported box.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Go any smaller then mine and you won't have any bass. lol. I have a friend a few miles away that is now selling his two 12s and ported box, and asked me to make him one. He heard how this one sounded and is in love with it. Even with the roof off it hits hard.