spark plugs not working

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
Hey guys.
I just ordered six ngk irirdium spark plugs and installed them on my 1jzgte, they work great in low RPM but as soon as i step on the gas and the turbo fully opens the engine starts shaking. so took them out and it seems that they are not burning gas. i tried them on my friends 1jzgte vvti and they work great in low and high RPM.

I think that there isnt much electricity reaching the plugs. does anyone else have another opinion?
and by the way my 1jzgte has twin hks turbos and my friend is stock

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
Was it running and boosting fine in the higher rpm's before you canged the sparkplugs?
What is the gap on them?

It might me your coils, check them for cracks were the rubber is on at the end of them, use clear nail polish to seal them up and go to hardware store and get shrink wrap, it is the real thick kind that needs a mini torch to shrink it.

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
The engine was fine before.
I replaced them with the old spark plugs and it ran good again.
checked the coils, and all of them are in good shape.

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
Check for the cracks like stated above.

I don't think irridiums have an adjustable gap due to the fine tip.

it could be spark blow out.

What's your timing set to?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
I prefer to run coppers over anything, we use them in all our race engines. I get the NGK V-power in a 7 heat range which is one step colder than stock.. For my 7M I gap them to .21 for higher boost.. They are about 14.00 for a set and driftmotion has them

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
They dont have any cracks
I guess that i will try to gap them and see if it works or not.
Thanks.

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
I hear alot of people have problems with the ngk irirdiums, Toyota has a realy good one for the mkiv, the tips are realy thick.
I think it's the plugs at fault.
As far as the coils go, I did not see the cracks mine untill I realy looked hard under bright light. Worth a shot.

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
mk3tattoos;1695126 said:
I hear alot of people have problems with the ngk irirdiums, Toyota has a realy good one for the mkiv, the tips are realy thick.
I think it's the plugs at fault.
As far as the coils go, I did not see the cracks mine untill I realy looked hard under bright light. Worth a shot.

thanks man, ill check on the coils at the same time.

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
yongai27;1695450 said:
did you ever find out the problem? did gapping the plugs make it work?

Give me till tomorrow to find out if it worked or not.
Tomorrow is my last midterm exam, but when i finish i will start working on it.

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
Sorry that it took me five days to reply but i finally gaped the plugs and installed then, and its the same problem.
I guess that some spark plugs work on the 2jz but not on the 1jz, and some of them do.

Anyway thanks for your help.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
What did you gap them too?

Shouldnt matter. If it works on 1 jz engine it should work on another.

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
hvyman;1697475 said:
If it works on 1 jz engine it should work on another.

I dont know about that.

Maybe because the design of the 1jzgte vvti is closer to the 2jzgte then the 1jzgte

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
All vvti does is change the position of the intake cam. Does nothing for compression and if anything the 2jzgte would be close to the 1jzgte. The 2jzgte vvti would be closer to the 1jzgte vvti.

Its kinda like saying my ngk coppers worked on my 7m but not my friends 7m.

JPsToyota

Sep 17, 2008
East-Central, FL
You can gap iridiums, you just have to be careful obviously. This sounds like a gap problem if the old plugs work. You should probably compare the gap between the old and new plugs.

I don't like iridiums either, why bother when copper versions of the "same" plug (V-Power) work so great and are dirt cheap? And can be gapped without surgeons touch.