Spark plug soak in oil

Falken

May 31, 2009
Los Angeles
I have a 1jz and my last two plugs were soak in oil. But only thing is that the plugs had oil on the tip of the plug where the spark happens. I'm hoping its only a valve cover job. I was wondering if the plugs have grommets. Or maybe something else is wrong :/

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Might have a bit of oil getting past the rings if you run it hard. Got some pictures?

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
Is their a chance you had oil in the plug vally and you got it on the plug when u took it out ?.. if their is oil on the plug your car will prob make blue smoke out the tail pipe. If their is enough of it.. does it smoke

Falken

May 31, 2009
Los Angeles
My car doesn't smoke at all... I checked inside the valve cover wall and there is no oil sitting outside the plug. I don't have pics. The car still runs good and pulls hard. The jz is not burning the oil, I'm always checking it and its still good. It's weird I say... Drivinge crazy, and my guess its been running like this for over 6 months last time I checked the plugs.

Falken

May 31, 2009
Los Angeles
No I haven't done any compression test, that's my next move on my day off. I have a 57 trim turbo from Driftmotion on my 1jz. It is my daily driver too so I'm scared to ruined something else on it :/

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
scottiedawg66;1900043 said:
Have you done a compression test?
You should do this. Maybe you have low compression on 5 an 6. .
Also ck the pcv system make sure it working properly

Falken

May 31, 2009
Los Angeles
Oh ya the pcv system. I'm really hoping its not a compression problem then for sure ill be screw :/ I wouldn't know what to do fix that problem.

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
If your engine was working well until you put your fingers on it, You should not find "wet" oil on your spark-plugs. Any working engine will NOT have wet oil in the combustion chamber...it will not survive as a liquid in there.
If you are having serious engine-issues like no-start, smoking blue as hell (and i really mean hell) etc, then your piston or rings must be in a terrible condition beeing able to squirt oil through the piston/ring assembly (very unrealistic). and if it was running with allot of smoke, your sparkplugs would revile that easily with HEAVY carbon debris all over it, and it does not sound like this is your problem.... your problem is wet oil on your plugs.

With that said, Leaking Valve-covers are common on 1JZ's.
And yes, when they leak, allot of the oil gathers in the "valley" where the sparkplugs are, filling up the plug-holes.... some may have just a few mm, others may have 1cm of oil. The rearmost cylinders are mostly affected usually (Stock 1JZ has a slight tilt backwards)
So when you then remove the plugs without noticing the oil in the valley, the oil WILL try to enter the cylinder through the spark-plug hole..... But you have not removed the plug completely yet, so the oil instead starts to slowly creep down the plug.
And when you then get the plug out, and inspect it, you say, "oh fuck, OIL on my plugs!"

When it in reality is a valve-cover gasket leaking, really.... Belive me, I was exactly where you are now two years ago.... but when I put my flashlight down the spark-plug valley, I could see the rest of the plugs soaked in oil.
Valvecover-gaskets where replaced, and its never been a drop of oil there ever since.

So don't take any conclusions yet, thats my advice.

Falken

May 31, 2009
Los Angeles
Thanks radial that made me feel a bit better bout the situation. And yes makes sense what your saying... Cuz the 1j is running and no smoke etc. ima just get that valve cover gasket and replace it. Ill post up if that fixed my problem. Thanks alot for everyone's post. Wish me luck lol

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
I think you should still do a compression test. Call me crazy (you would not be the first) but I like to test my compression at least annually just to see whats going on.

Falken

May 31, 2009
Los Angeles
true true... i will get that compression test in there, might as well im doing valve cover and switching plugs. im just ordering my valve cover gasket and sum few parts from driftmotion. just wondering what kind of motor and transmission mounts are you guys using? i wanna upgrade i feel the engine and transmission shifting forward and backwards... ugh more things i need to do.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
I used the BIC pre 89 JZ mounts from randy 7 or so rears ago and have had great luck with them. I think i used a JZA70 tranny cross member, but honestly I cannot remember its been so long. you should take a look at the cross member, and diff hardware as well as motor mounts if you can feel your motor moving that is no bueno! working on cars is not always fun, but at least we get to work on supras. compared to other vehicles they are a pleasure. you are also in a great spot to get professional help with your car. there seem to be a load of nice JZ swapped cars down there.

Falken

May 31, 2009
Los Angeles
yeah driftmotion are really nice people and have alot of knowledge. i recently swap my rear subframe, but my engine was already moving before that. im pretty sure it needs them bad but i wanna buy a good set lol.