Southern PA 7M Rebuild

Tsupra04

Supra Number 5
Aug 7, 2011
Stewartstown, PA
Hi all - Long time Supra owner (had 5 of them between 1990 and now), going through my first full 7M rebuild. My current garage mistress is a black 1991 Turbo. Body is in very good shape, but the car had been sitting for some time before I got it. Also, the engine had been pulled once before, and had a fairly shoddy rebuild done (looks to me like top end only, MHG with poor surface machining, etc.). Anyway, I bought her in August of 2011, drove her for a year, then last summer I started to disassemble for the rebuild. Yeah I know....but it has taken this long due to job and family responsibilities, plus I am being completely anal with the rebuild. I am cleaning and sanding individual bolts in some cases. Not looking for show quality, but I want a nice clean engine bay with a solid rebuild when I am done.

Here's a nice before shot:

047 Water Lines - Exhaust Side.jpg

Complete oily mess. So after pulling the motor, I tore it all down, taking tons of pics and making lots of notes. I took the core to Burtonsville Machine (north of DC) on a friend's recommendation. They are not the cheapest, but they do top knotch work - including for some racing teams in the area. I even saw a thank you picture on the wall for work done on the president's helicopter! So I had them rebuild the bottom end, which included bore to 0.40, Wisceco's, BC rods, all new bearings, straighten and cleaned up crank, and reassembly. then I had them rebuild an extra head of mine as well. All of this took about 5 months, but mainly due to my delays shopping for deals on parts. The shop was VERY understanding waiting for me.

Update pics below...nice and clean.....

Attachments

• Rebuild Progress 07-14-13 (1).jpg
    Rebuild Progress 07-14-13 (1).jpg
    272 KB · Views: 61
  • Rebuild Progress 07-14-13 (2).jpg
    Rebuild Progress 07-14-13 (2).jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Rebuild Progress 07-14-13 (3).jpg
    Rebuild Progress 07-14-13 (3).jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 65

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Hoooooooooooly crap. That is what i'm talking about! Pretty much exactly how I want mine: black valve covers and a neutral color block with manifold. Hat off to you sir! looks friggin great.

And the little sneak shot of the quarter panel, she looks promising

Tsupra04

Supra Number 5
Aug 7, 2011
Stewartstown, PA
Thanks....will have pics up of the rebuilt turbo installed soon. Hoping to drop the motor back in in the next week or two. Will post progress pics as I go.

staehlin180

Mar 5, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Looks clean man. How have you been cleaning up the bolts? just sandpaper? have you tried any solvent or wire wheel? and is your exhaust coated or high temp paint?

Tsupra04

Supra Number 5
Aug 7, 2011
Stewartstown, PA
Mostly wire wheels on my drill press. A lot of stuff needed serious cleaning - I have a whole shelf of different solvents and cleaners now. I also created my own "parts washers" from those Sam's club size dishwashing detergent buckets. Clean them out real good, then you can fill them with water and soap and soak/scrub them with regular brushes. Then clean and dry before sanding and/or painting. Works great, though sometimes I need heavier duty cleaners.

My exhaust mani is coated, but I bought it used and the finish was tarnished, so it got a coat of high temp paint as well.

Like I said, slow progress, but enjoying the results so far (if I do say so myself).

Tsupra04

Supra Number 5
Aug 7, 2011
Stewartstown, PA
MadRPM - Mild build for now - looking at 350-400 hp at the wheels. Basic stuff - bigger bore, 550 cc injectors, Lexus AFM, turbo built to 57 trim with clipped exducer, and opened up exhaust from turbo back. No modded ECU or anything like that yet. Want to get her back on the road and avoid a tuning nightmare, at least until I want more HP.

Supra_dan - Thanks for the props, and I honestly would do this for a living if I could. Unfortunately we all know we are a weird bunch of folks that loves these old heavy sports cars.....

Tsupra04

Supra Number 5
Aug 7, 2011
Stewartstown, PA
Hey - is this "V8" Chambers I met at Advance auto in Shrewsbury a few weeks back? You have a sweet ride yourself....

I painted my block with Rustoleum Engine enamel # 248949 (Aluminum). Didn't want and overly glossy finish, and I am happy with the way it turned out. I did use engine primer under the top coat as well.

Pics coming of the turbo install and alum flywheel....waiting for a friend's hoist to become available.....

Tsupra04

Supra Number 5
Aug 7, 2011
Stewartstown, PA
Supra28 - I am cheating on the block end - using the stock nozzle and hose clamp (braided line is clipped on the bottom). If it gives me problems, I will swap it out and tap a pipe to AN fitting on there.

A few more progress pics (as I mentioned above, I know I am moving VERY slow on my rebuild....). Refinished the lower timing cover and highlighted timing marks in red. Installed a polished intake manifold set - these are not my work; I bought these as you see them. Doubt I could have done as nice a polishing job on my old ones....

Intake Mani.jpgLower Timing Cover.jpgP1020867.jpg

Waiting on stock exhaust mani studs/lock nuts and support bracket from Elmhurst before installing turbo. Also shopping for a new AC Compressor. After that, she comes off the engine stand for flywheel install and final assembly before she goes back in the car. Can't wait to get her on the road.

Last edited:

Tsupra04

Supra Number 5
Aug 7, 2011
Stewartstown, PA
1) Replacement stock exhaust manifold with thermo coating? Check.

2) Coat of paint to match block and bolted up ready for turbo install? Check.

3) Hairline crack all the way THROUGH near cyl 3? WTF?!?! Damn.....

Exhaust Mani Crack.jpg

Luckily I had my original mani laying around, but it is going to take a LONG time to clean up, port, etc.

Orig Exhaust Mani.jpg

On a more positive note, RC550's on fuel rail and installed:

RC550s on Fuel Rail.jpgFuel Rail Installed.jpg

Tsupra04

Supra Number 5
Aug 7, 2011
Stewartstown, PA
staehlin - I used Rustoleum High Heat Ultra Silver with high sheen (NOT the same as their engine enamels). Timing marks highlighted in red using a red sharpie - works surprisingly well and sticks pretty good (doesn't smear).

Tsupra04

Supra Number 5
Aug 7, 2011
Stewartstown, PA
General update: Working on refinishing that second exhaust mani, and DESPERATELY looking for the small bracket that bolts to the bottom of that mani - mine was missing due to sloppy PO rebuild. Cannot be ordered from Toyota anymore.