Sourcing the rear hatch glass

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Has anybody else had trouble sourcing the glass for the rear hatch? I've tried three different auto glass shops in the area and nobody can even get a listing for it. I also asked if they could swap the rear glass from my parts car, and the general consensus is "not without breaking it." I feel like the glass places in my area are just being lazy, or is it really that hard to source the rear hatch piece.

If you have gotten one recently could you tell me what business you used?

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
I needed a glass for my rear hatch, and the lowest quote I got from my local glass stores was $460+ for a used glass!

I found a complete hatch on ebay for $75 just one state over from me. I bought that hatch, picked it up, and a local body shop only charged $50 to pull the glass out of the hatch I bought and install it in my car.

Places you could try could be ~ ebay and (hopefully) find someone local, the for sale section here, as someone may be parting a car, a local junkyard to source a glass/hatch there, or even www.car-part.com.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Hey thanks for the reply, I have an extra hatch with the glass in it. But the local glass places quoted me $225 to swap the glass and they said they would most likely break it in the process, with no reimbursement if they did. I would say they were just trying to sell me a new piece except they can't get a new one. Maybe I'll try off the island i live on. I just don't want to drive 45min with an extra hatch in the car just to get it replaced.

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
Call around. I called a local glass place, and they quoted me $75+ to swap the rear glass. The next place I called was a body shop, and they quoted me $50 so they got the job. They even used the best trim from both hatches when they reinstalled the glass. I'd call glass places and body shops, and let them bid against each other. I'm sure you'll find a reasonable price.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
Hey Dirgle we had a good experience with Novus over here in Burlington . They replaced the windshield and rear 240sx quarters for the 180sx quarters at my buddies house give them a call the guys on the island are douche bags . You can use me addy in Sedro If you need to

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Or you can find someone selling a hatch that's the same color as yours, and just swap hatches. Bit of a pain, but could save you some money

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
he has the glass. just shop around.

ive watched the guys replace glass when i was working. the just cut the weather stripping out and pull the glass. clear the old weather stripping, apply new and let it set.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
mattsplat72;1262297 said:
Hey Dirgle we had a good experience with Novus over here in Burlington . They replaced the windshield and rear 240sx quarters for the 180sx quarters at my buddies house give them a call the guys on the island are douche bags . You can use me addy in Sedro If you need to

Hey, thanks for the heads up about Novus Matt, I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say

hvyman;1262394 said:
he has the glass. just shop around.

ive watched the guys replace glass when i was working. the just cut the weather stripping out and pull the glass. clear the old weather stripping, apply new and let it set.
Yeah it's not that hard, I've had it done on a different car before and it was cheap. less than fifty at the time. but that was back in Colorado. I'm not sure what the issue is up here. More than anything I'm just surprised that they can't get the glass new.

SupraCorwin;1262418 said:
No one on the island knows whats going on lol.
That is the gods honest truth

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I got a new hatch glass a couple years ago...special order from the dealer, from Japan. It was 1 of 3 left in existence new.
Thank god my insurance paid for it.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
jdub;1262523 said:
I got a new hatch glass a couple years ago...special order from the dealer, from Japan. It was 1 of 3 left in existence new.
Thank god my insurance paid for it.

Ya, no kidding. How much did they want to charge for that piece of glass?

600? 700? higher?