Source of pressure for wastegate.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Ok here is the question.

Every turbo setup I've done before has the pressure source on the compressor cover. (There is a pad you can drill and tap there.)

This T70 does not have a pad....

So, where is the best place to source the pressure to work the wastegate?

Can I just use an existing nipple off the intake manifold after the throttle body? (Sounds easy, but there has to be a problem with this I know, it's too easy this way.)

With my custom pipes, there are no fittings other than a intake air temp sensor between the turbo and the throttle body... (And I'm going to have to screw up my new powdercoating to get one in there... Dang it.)

Quick response is needed as I'm putting everything together today, and going to Vegas tomarrow... :)

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
If signal taken from intake manifold you will have better turbo response, less lag. You will get some boost spikes, probably not good idea if intercooler is marginal, it will be heat soaked too quickly. Actually compressor will be "overworked" in all situations except WOT

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
mk3ukr said:
If signal taken from intake manifold you will have better turbo response, less lag. You will get some boost spikes, probably not good idea if intercooler is marginal, it will be heat soaked too quickly. Actually compressor will be "overworked" in all situations except WOT

^^ good response... i tried putting my MBC on my manifold and plugging the compressor housing of the ct-26... experienced those things... Hitting fuel cut on quick shifts when i was only holding 12 psi regularly was the reason i opted back to the compressor housing.

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
I wouldn't control the WG with manifold pressure. It's too far downstream (big boost spikes) and the actuator will see vacuum, which may or may not damage it. I don't think they are designed for it though.

If you can't get a port onto the comp housing I'd try to keep it as close to the outlet as you can.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Just how thick is the comp housing Greg?
I would say even though there isn't a little plateau for it, there should be enough meat for a fitting to grab on to securely...

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
IJ. said:
I welded a bung onto my IC pipe right after the first coupler.

Is that just before the throttle body? I was thinking of doing the same thing on the cross pipe (3000 pipe) on top of the engine.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
home_easier.jpg

http://www.atpturbo.com/

Its right off the main page.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Well, ended up finding a tap that would work with the fittings I have. (You would think everyone would carry NPT thread taps since these are the most common ones here in the USA.. Nope, ended up going all over town. Heck what I spent in gas today would have paid for new fittings, and different taps... LOL)

Fitting is now in the compressor housing. I was worried there was not much metal on the housing, and it turned out to be about 1/4" thick where I drilled and tapped, so I don't expect any problems.

If I did not have the nice powdercoating on the IC pipes, I'd have just bought a nut with the right theads, and welded it to the IC pipe over a hole. Easy fix, but I did not think of it untill after the pipes were done at the powdercoater....

Man this turbo was a PITA to get fitted up right into this enginebay the way I have everything setup. (There are two filters on the apron, so I have oil lines running everywhere, and there is not much room for the IC pipes, let alone this larger compressor housing and manifold...)

Everything has taken about 3x longer than I estimated. Looks like vegas this year with my car is not going to happen. (Still don't have my Maft Pro hooked up, or the second fuel pump in the tank, and plumbed to the rail... )

That hose fitting is interesting, but not my style. It looks like it would fail in a few years at best.