Sooo...

LunaVyohr

Classhole
Sep 30, 2011
Paonia, Colorado
Why are 90% of the MKIIIs that I see for sale here, and on other sites, junked out pieces of shit? Almost every single one is a 'project', or the engine runs fine, but the exterior looks like dogshit.

I weep.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
That is why it takes for ever to find the right one.

Also when a rare cream puff comes around alot of people say the price is to high.

Great MKIII's should bring good money.

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
Great MKIII's should bring good money. But when you have an individual that comes across one that knows nothing about them except the fact that they were in a game and it was awesome in the game they tend to think that they have a gold mine. Which I believe is one of the reasons why you have stupid people asking stupid prices for a heap all because they had a friend tell them they used it in a game.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
super51fan;1979295 said:
That is why it takes for ever to find the right one.

Also when a rare cream puff comes around alot of people say the price is to high.

Great MKIII's should bring good money.

Exactly. I drove two hours to Nashville for mine, twice... It was for a one owner car though that was previously owned by an elderly lady whose husband was a part owner of a Toyota Dealership in the 80's. He bought the car for her new in 87 and then she traded it in for her daughter in 2010 a few years after her husband passed away. You just have to wait for the right one to pop up.

(because everyone likes MKIII pictures)

Nougie

Nov 5, 2012
CA
Patience and knowing where to look is key. There are many nice,clean, and even orginal ones all around. I am the second owner of mine and drove 12 hours for her. I wanna say, it was well worth it. You have to know what your looking for to find it.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You got 40 grand.. I would consider selling mine... lol. And its not done yet either!

I think most of us have to decide that we aren't really building to sell if we are going to do it properly. The value on the market isn't high enough to compensate for the work involved. My car is more solid than the new ones I have bought (maybe not as modern) and is so unique I cant drive anywhere without getting a lot of attention.

Now... the other ones I find for 1-2000.00 are all rust/bubble gum fixes/zip ties/mongrel mods/limpers that need a very attentive owner. Most people who put 45-65,000 into their Supra do not talk about it.

... and then there's the fact that MKIV's are a more "perfected" Supra version.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Yeah, what HE said.

I really don't think that a forum is the best place to buy a Supra, either.
90% of the cars on here have had alot of sweat invested in then- even the ugly ones, so more money is asked for them.
If i were looking for another supra, i'd be on Craigslist exclusively, hoping to find someone that only looked at their Toyota as a 25 yr old import, and no emotional ties.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
We've got an 87 n/a here at a local dealership. $3500 (down from $3800), 113k miles. It looks and runs well, hasn't been molested or ragged out (I couldn't resist trying it out), but nobody around here that's interested has the money right before Christmas, and those that have the money aren't interested in a 26 year-old car regardless of it's condition.

I make no excuses for the condition of my '88, it's a project car with all the warts and stuff that implies. The exterior is solid (except for paint, needs that) but I've currently got the interior stripped out to deal with some rust spots and interior parts which need replacing as well as doing some rattle-control and sound-deadening. Even at that I couldn't get out of it what I've already put into the power-train, but as I don't have any plans to sell it that's not an issue.