some new symptoms

D TR41N

Apr 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
my car started doing this thing in 4th and 5th gear where it will stutter. like, it feels like the engine dies for a fraction of a second and i stop accelerating. Also at the same time i noticed my idle is a bit rougher, like, i can feel the car rumble a little bit whereas before I couldn't. I ran a bottle of seafoam through the gas and for the first 1/2 of the tank, the problem went away then it came back. I replaced the spark plugs and that made the problem go away for about a week and then it came back again. Any ideas? Is the way i'm explaining it too vague?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
How many miles on the motor, what octane fuel are you running, what is your timing set at, did you gap the plugs when you put them in? I can think of a few more questions for you, so yes maybe you are being a little vague :)

D TR41N

Apr 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
AJ'S 88NA;1174460 said:
How many miles on the motor, what octane fuel are you running, what is your timing set at, did you gap the plugs when you put them in? I can think of a few more questions for you, so yes maybe you are being a little vague :)

50k on the motor, no clue what the timing is set at (not even sure how to find out) I did gap the plugs when i put them in and it is throwing no codes :-D

D TR41N

Apr 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Ok sorry in advanced i'm a n00b. How would I set my timing and check my cap and rotor? Oh i also used NGK iridium IX's if that helps.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Go to harbor freight and get the 15 dollar timing light. :) I got another basic (but much more expensive one) and the cheap one worked better.

Warm up motor, turn off motor, jumper diagnostic E1 an TE1 IIRC, start motor.
Point timing gun just behind main fan and watch for timing marks on crank.
Loosen distributor bolt and swing the dizzy up or down to bring the mark to 10.

Done.

This is a must have part for anyone doing their own car work. It's cheap, useful and easy once you know how.

D TR41N

Apr 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
suprarx7nut;1174537 said:
Go to harbor freight and get the 15 dollar timing light. :) I got another basic (but much more expensive one) and the cheap one worked better.

Warm up motor, turn off motor, jumper diagnostic E1 an TE1 IIRC, start motor.
Point timing gun just behind main fan and watch for timing marks on crank.
Loosen distributor bolt and swing the dizzy up or down to bring the mark to 10.

Done.

This is a must have part for anyone doing their own car work. It's cheap, useful and easy once you know how.

Thx for the help guys :-D