some more thoughts on my mind

Eric_Odie

Apr 17, 2005
Fremont, Ca.
www.cardomain.com
when removing power steering, like the WHOLE system, not just cut the belt... what do i do with the rack, what should i use to plug the holes that the lines go to.

anyone know where i could go to get the freon taken out of the AC? i want to remove my AC, since it burns hot and might as well just take it out i don't even use it haha. now i was also wondering, since it burns out does that mean i'm out of freon already? haha cause i know how it's illegal to blow Freon out into the atmosphere.

is there any benefit to removing ABS? just wondering... pretty much i'm trying to figure out what i don't really need, and what i can take out to clear up the engine bay. any help could come in use. and yes i've done a search but found very little no information regarding my questions, thank you for your help, and time.

TargaSupra

Apr 4, 2005
Africa
If you remove your ABS, you'll notice that your car will have a high tendency to lock the wheels. I heard that drifter don't like ABS, but I love my ABS. I sure missed my ABS bcuz I couldn't get it to work right after NA-T with an AUTO harness.

I have no idea with the freon. Y would u want to remove PS? It's hell driving without PS.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Some cars do OK with out the PS. Our cars do not. Ours cars are tanks and can be a real pain to move in a parking lot. So maybe your a big tough guy and this doesn’t bother you. Next is the fact that when our racks don't see pressure they get quirky. The main one is when going around a corner at high speed they tend to suddenly jerk in the opposite direction. And it's not a soft jerk it is very violent and sudden. So the five pounds you save and the ever so slightly cleaner engine bay is not worth the safety risk. If you were able to replace the rack with a real manual one this might be different, but I haven’t heard of any direct replacements.

As far as the ABS goes It's a real pain to remove also. You have to find a NA supra that didn’t come with it to get parts. But the ABS is very good. In some cars the ABS pumps the pedals and it gets annoying. In our cars it pumps the pads. This is good as you don't feel any vibration. During the winter, in the snow the Supras ABS is incredible. But if you want to try driving without it, just pull the fuse. Then you’ll get an idea.

P.S. TargaSupra you Avatar is pushing forum rules. Please reconsider.

Last edited:

tubbie

Yes, powerful Jedi....
Apr 4, 2005
Hoschton, GA
If your a/c is blowing hot already, you probably don't have anymore freon in the system, at least not enough to put a hole in the ozone layer above your house. Just open it and vent it, then take it all out. We won't tell anyone..... :biglaugh:

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
tubbie said:
If your a/c is blowing hot already, you probably don't have anymore freon in the system, at least not enough to put a hole in the ozone layer above your house. Just open it and vent it, then take it all out. We won't tell anyone..... :biglaugh:

Oh and make sure a friend of yours is working under your car when you pull it. Thats what some jackass did to me :slap:

Sersiously, you should do it carefully cause leaning in the engine bay in order to pull the line off isnt a good situation. Also, Im sure you could just go to just about any mechanic to have them drain it. I dont know if they will charge you or not though.

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
dirgle said:
the fact that when our racks don't see pressure they get quirky. The main one is when going around a corner at high speed they tend to suddenly jerk in the opposite direction. And it's not a soft jerk it is very violent and sudden.

This is very true, same thing happened to me on my BMW when a hose blew. I just let it go, seeing as how I'll be putting in a quick ratio rack soon. Well all was good and fine until about a week later, it started jerking unpredictably around corners (not a fun thing to happen). But, there was a solution, at least for the BMW, I ran new non-pressure lines from the fluid reservoir directly to the rack, bypassing the pump. After a day or so, keeping an eye on the fluid level, the rack filled back up with fluid and I have yet to have a problem.

But my bimmer is light, I would not even think of running without PS on the Supra, Just my opinion.