So....um why are people paying a grip for moldings?

bonylad

....beavis
Jun 1, 2014
Newport, NC
Flame on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-GMC-2...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4acd987c82&vxp=mtr

Just an example, say for the door and perhaps if your skilled enough with a trim knife.....a little more. I understand.

1. The cars are out of production
2. Its OEM
3. Fit is guaranteed

Has anyone decided that several hundred dollars for 26 year old used molding is maybe a little much? Anyone tried this?

And this is just a question, I understand most of you will scoff at me, and frankly its expected. But really?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Because that is cheap and ghetto.

And basically all stock moldings are discontinued. There not even that much money and pretty dime a dozen used. The only one that is expensive is the drivers rear depending which model is has on it.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Because people who are passionate about these cars dont want to just hack them up...they want to do it right...

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
hvyman;2038381 said:
Because that is cheap and ghetto.

And basically all stock moldings are discontinued. There not even that much money and pretty dime a dozen used. The only one that is expensive is the drivers rear depending which model is has on it.

DeMoN2318;2038458 said:
Because people who are passionate about these cars dont want to just hack them up...they want to do it right...

Couldn't have said this any better myself. As these cars get older the parts are gonna get more expensive and they are gonna weed out the people who don't have the time/money/passion to take care of them properly.

bonylad

....beavis
Jun 1, 2014
Newport, NC
I expected that. The question was raised because I have seen several moldings which are completely similar or near identical that are much cheaper. One could replace them with those and have a result which closely matches the OEM product at a reduced cost. Id be willing to bet that most wouldn't know (given proper application and choice of style) it wasn't OEM.

But you both have points, and given the option of getting WHAT I need at a non "its a Supra" gouging price......Id get OEM too.

Last edited:

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
I mean, OEM is the way to go but there will be a time in the future where parts are hard to come by and mouldings aren't something that are available yet. By aftermarket I mean OEM aftermarket. Now if you find something else that would work for our car please don't hesitate to share. The link you shared are just generic mouldings, ours have tabs and clips and it's a part of the car not just something that was glued on to the car. That being said, i'm always open to see what's out there for our car.

ronniek

Authorized Vendor
May 2, 2005
auckland
Are we talking about the strip moulding that go on the outside of car?
If I come up with a good way to make quality moldings,would people be interested?

Ronnie

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
ronniek;2038686 said:
Are we talking about the strip moulding that go on the outside of car?
If I come up with a good way to make quality moldings,would people be interested?

Ronnie

I'm sure that people would be interested. Everything I've heard about your bushings has been good.

bonylad

....beavis
Jun 1, 2014
Newport, NC
Good point. That was a quick.....generic pick. Yes.

I have seen and I will look for a better option, any one know how wide they are?

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
the window moldings are not available from Toyota any more, and I don't see how that generic molding material would work for anything but the front window I would definitely be interested in a reproduction set of moldings that emulate the factory parts. I have been reluctant to paint my car due to my crappy moldings that would stick out like a sore thumb.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
MK3pizzadriver;2038928 said:
I would just have my original moldings stripped and repainted...

If you figure out how to do it, and it come out good...let us know. When you try to strip it, the rubber gets nasty. Also, some have metal clips and they rust like crazy and ruin the molding.

bonylad

....beavis
Jun 1, 2014
Newport, NC
DeMoN2318;2038940 said:
If you figure out how to do it, and it come out good...let us know. When you try to strip it, the rubber gets nasty. Also, some have metal clips and they rust like crazy and ruin the molding.

This.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
DeMoN2318;2038940 said:

He might be talking about the moldings on the later years that came color matched to the body of the car. I've never dealt with those, because I have an 87, but they might actually be possible to take off and have repainted without too much of a hassle. I thought the later model years got rid of the metal in them so they wouldn't have the rust issues that the early ones have also?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Only the pre89 ones rust.

89+ all plastic. easy enough to sand them down and color match the paint. could use scotch brite on the rubber part.

bonylad

....beavis
Jun 1, 2014
Newport, NC
hvyman;2039019 said:
Only the pre89 ones rust.

89+ all plastic. easy enough to sand them down and color match the paint. could use scotch brite on the rubber part.

Well Im about to get a set of what I need. Somebody had mercy on me and is giving me a (IMO) good deal. Mine are all plastic and not perfect. BUT.......