So long, y'all!

cwapface

Supernerd
Mar 30, 2005
Eugene, OR
www.dylanwiggins.com
The day has finally come. I sold my car to a strapping young lad and now I'm out of the Supra game.

Word.

I finally realized that when people refer to late 80's/early 90's sports cars as money pits, it's no joke. There are a thousand upgrades I wanted to do but never had the money for. Now with an impending house purchase and me wanting to get out of debt, the car had to go. I always wanted to swap in a 1JZ and get that sweet Bomex 3-hole lip, but the reality is that I don't want to spend the value of the car on parts that will only get me deeper in the hole if I ever sold it later on. And I never really thought of this car as staying with me forever.

Anyway.

I have tremendous respect (and jealousy ;) ) for all of you Supra owners who put your hard work, your time, and your hard-earned wages into your cars. I have learned more about cars than I ever thought I would (thanks BHG!) and I now know a freakish amount of Supra trivia that I'm sure I can bust out at parties or something.

A special thanks goes out to the creators and maintainers of Supramania. My car would be a broken pile of parts if this treasure trove of information didn't exist. I have done my best to help out other newbies and I hope I saved someone the pain of taking their car to a mechanic and paying too much to fix a BHG or replace a fuel filter. Mk3 Supras will always be changing hands for the next 20 years, and I hope that all the new owners will be able to jump in with the aid of the internet and keep their cars on the road running right.

I really wish the Supra community was closer in my area. I know of at least 10 in the area but none of them know each other or are interested in coming online or going to meets. The Weezl started something that I hope turns into a local Supra car club, it's a shame that you have to move away before it really takes flight.

So with that said, I'll always be the random guy giving you a thumbs up as you pass by in your Supra. Also, I'm down for a mk3 photoshoot any day ;)

Take care of yourselves and remember the car is there to serve you, not the other way around :biglaugh:

edit: I can't believe I forgot about 90T04. Ryan was the guy who busted his ass in 109 degree heat helping me change my headgasket. If I didn't buy this car I never would have met him, and that's worth the price of admission right there. He is also crazy and is going to have a completely badass car once he stops rebuilding it for fun over and over again :)

Last edited:

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
first

ok, this is indeed sad, but I cant say I blame you really. One thing I dont get however is why you felt the need to sell it. Your car is really nice as is. Why not just accept that and drive it?
Oh well, it was fun meeting you and having you come along on peak runs. GL with everything!

And yeah, I was looking forward to the spring around here and especially now that Justing has a nice Turbo. But Tim left, leaving me the only SM member in Corvallis, and I have to make a life choice to move on, just like you have to. Perhaps we will meet again sometime

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
You know what the sick thing is? You'll be back in a couple years. Mark my words -- you'll forget all the bad and think "it'll be different now that I know what I'm getting in to" ;)

Best of luck to you though,

Jeff

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
I'm one of the noob's you helped a LOT, and there's a PM or two that was sent your way saying so. A printout of your "Dylan's How To" got me through the bhg I ran into 2 weeks after buying my car with no idea how to do much more than an oil change.

I have to agree with WeezL: you could've kept the car inexpensively by just maintaining it... :cry:

Thanks again for your help and your writeups, and PLEASE don't take down your website.

tonysupra

Supramania Contributor
Dec 3, 2005
CT
Shytheed Dumas said:
I'm one of the noob's you helped a LOT.

This is very sad but we hope you're happy with the decision you made. good luck in the future.

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Hey cwapface, don't stray too far, you'll be back !!! I have your site bookmarked for reference sake. Thanks to you for tons of informative pieces. Take care man and don't worry about the masses, we all appreciate what you've done to help us out. Can I take your username, that's classic !!! j/k. We'll miss you.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Enjoy your year or two break without a Supra.

We'll see you back around this time next year. ;)

No, in all seriousness, thanks for EVERYTHING that you've done for the community. Your write-up's and how-to's have helped out THOUSANDS of people...so feel special. :icon_wink

If it wasn't for you, I'd never be ever to put my driverside window up without hands. :D

Anywho, I appreciate your dedication and time and I, as well, would like to see your site stay. :x:

Jeff

cwapface

Supernerd
Mar 30, 2005
Eugene, OR
www.dylanwiggins.com
Thanks all for the kind words. I'm planning a redisgn of my site in the next few months, but I'll make sure that the How-Tos are still up and available indefinitely.

As for the idea of just maintaining and driving the car, well, that's what I've been doing for the past 2 years. It's at the point now where everything is starting to show its age. Brakes, clutch, motor, etc all have a lot of miles and are going to need replacement in the near future and I decided it's not worth the money to me when 99% of the time it is a daily driver on a crappy stop-n-go route to work and back.

No doubt I would really like to put it up on blocks in the garage for 10 years and then start a new build with piles of cash and a clean shell. Maybe if it was a 1992 rare/rare combo with shadow rare leather and dealer installed rare roof, but even then it's a stretch. If we ever move to Canada, I'm pretty sure I'll be rolling around in a green TT-R, after I get the Cosmo and the GTR anyway ;)

The problem for me with Supras is that they just look so good, it's easy to overlook the bad parts.

Thanks again for the support and I hope it won't be too long before I get to go wide open on a JZ-series motor, whatever it may be.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I thought I would have to sell my project vehicles when we bought the house, but then I realized they really didn't cost me that much money unless I was modding them constantly. Once you get the house I guarantee you will be looking for another Supra as soon as you are all settled in :icon_wink

loki2043

Jan 23, 2006
Portland, OR
ah shit. i was hoping to cruise up with you and keelan to centrailia again this year(if yall were goin). good luck on the house. are you still comming to centrailia? or even staying in oregon? id really like to get together with ya guys and shoot the shit. if your ever in portland give me a hollar, or when my cars done i might drive down there.