So Im going for it...MKIV Dash into the MKIII

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
dirgle said:
Here is the car that apparently had it done. While he doesn't have any direct pics of the dash, probably for good reason, the front pic does show that it is not the standard MKIII dash in there.

http://www.supratraderonline.com/supras/listings/l0083.html

If your really serious about doing this contact him, and get some answers.
damn a local too. weird thing is i have never seen that car at local meets... hmm...

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
phoenix6 said:
Ok this just comes from the fact that I just want a lil more modern look to my interior.

What about the outside of your car? Its hella 80s and looks like a Transformer. That would look really funny with the round bubbly interior shoe-horned in there. I am not going to tell you to not do this, but if I were you the fact your car is N/A is a much bigger problem then the dated interior. For all the time and effort and money spent on the dash, seems like you could have fixed that whole "being slow" issue. Just my .02

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Ah, go for it. I've always wanted to build a FG dash that's kinda between the two. Something that wraps aound the driver more, a tiny bit more curve and a couple more angles. But sticking with most of the same stock controls and guages.

Oh, and it's Marlin Crawler who has the VSS adapter.

futeki_supra

Nov 18, 2006
lincoln, NE
I think your best bet would be to get a mk3 and a mk4 dash and "mate" the two of them together, the mk3 at the back for mounting issues and the mk4 up front, if that wouldnt work I think the best thing to do would be to atleast pull out the mk3 dash and match it up with the mk4 one and see what all needs to be done.

deff. a big waste of time imho
I would rather throw in a 1j

kylefoto

I am not ASIAN!
May 7, 2006
Lynnwood, WA
www.myspace.com
dirgle said:
Here is the car that apparently had it done. While he doesn't have any direct pics of the dash, probably for good reason, the front pic does show that it is not the standard MKIII dash in there.

http://www.supratraderonline.com/supras/listings/l0083.html

If your really serious about doing this contact him, and get some answers.
haha,
I like how that guy did a bunch of work to it, and is still rollin around on sawblades.
Classic.

good luck pheonix!
:)

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
Thanks guys. Im looking into all options right now. Bottom line to all of this is that I just want a unique custom interior.

As far as being slow, I have a 7mGTE that in the next month, is being hotanked and prepped for a build that will span the next 6 - 8 months. It wont be too costly, but it will boost me with good non stock results.

I just wanted like I said, bit more modern, cleaner look. I was driving tonight and I guess I dont mind my dash as much, just the colors and lack of "functionality" I want more customizations.

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
CryoSlash said:
don't hot tank the block. unless you wanna replace EVERYTHING in the block.

fuck really? It looks rusted on the exterior, and the interal side of things looks amazing like brand new... shit... guess Ill just paint it then. I have alot to read up on. Another thing with it Im stuck on, people can only order like standard size all around piston sets with rings... Im gonna bore them all to .020 over, but each cyl is already a diff size.... its got me doin circles haha

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
CryoSlash said:
what you do is wash it in a tub with warmish soapy water. then you paint the goddamn thing. :D

blah, fine. I heard the freeze plugs were all that needed replacing after a hot tank but thats fine. Ill wash the god damn thing! hahah, Ive got time to fuck with it for now anyways.

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
CryoSlash said:
it would also be oil pump driveshaft bearings, and some other crap too lol.

Oh well of course but its a bare block with just the oil line and steel coolant lines attached, the rest of that is ALL coming new.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
4th gen Camaro/Firebird interior swaps in the previous models are done all the time..

I like the MKIV interior, but I love my MKIII's interior even more. But if it's what you want, definitely go for it, the only thing is your vents will probably not work (or they might not even be hooked up). Good luck, you'll need it, but I hope you do it..

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
Dude, your better off getting a useless colorless POS dash from a junkyard without the guages or anything for $100, and just going completely custom with fiberglass resin and plastic panels you can cut to shape then just installing your guages, or aftermarket guages into the wholes you cutout of your fiberglass peice and maintaining the easy install of custom guages while acheivinghte look of the MKIV dash without having to chop up the old dash and adding peices here and there and trying to make a round block fit in your butt. Then if the finish isnt to your liking, get the shape and strenght taken care of and have an upholstry shop cover it in a tough leather. This way you can do the Stock guage setup for the MKIV in the MKIII and still be able to inegrate whatever you want, You can use the original dash to serve as a skeleton if need be aswell that way you dont have to refigure or remeasure your bolt holes.

just my 2 cents. and again, GOOD LUCK!

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
It is more of a mess then you think!
heat air vents every thing involved verry tough job

The best thing and easiest is complete custom dash where it slopes from the window to the shifter flat and smooth add ac /deff vents then add a small hood on it for your stack digital or lcd gauge all in 1 simple light easy!
something like this.
2005_Lamborghini_Gallardo__interior.jpg
Lamborghini-Murcielago-LP640-interior.jpg

i wouldnt even bother with the mkiv dash unless you were putting in a 2jz drive line in it with ecu.

also the digital speedometer issue is eas just put in the digital pu device in the speedo hole and run the wires to the dash infact some of the jdm A340E autos come with them from japan and those tranys could be had for as little as 60$ they even might let you have it free if you stop by nippon motors.

Last edited:

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
phoenix6 said:
I just wanted like I said, bit more modern, cleaner look. I was driving tonight and I guess I dont mind my dash as much, just the colors and lack of "functionality" I want more customizations.

Swap the old ghey green/dim bulbs for new orange bulbs. WOW you will love it. Want more custiomizations? Add real gauges! Those are so fun. :love: Water temp, oil temp/pressure and you will be so excited about all the cool stuff you have to look at. Plus it will seriously impress all your friends and birds. ;)