so i figured out i have a t3 on my 1j...

-AR-

Sep 16, 2012
FL
i went to change the gasket between the turbo and the mani and the thing is small(the gasket). whole time i had the car i thought i had a t4. all of the markings on the turbo are polished off. it reaches full boost around 4-43k rpm... what would be the best t3 that i could replace this with? or should i just swap the turbine side?

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
if you figure out what turbo you have, you might just replace the turbine-housing (By changing the size of the Input vs Output on the turbine housing, aka A/R ratio).... thats alot cheaper than a whole turbo.

example: 1.25 A/R's on the turbine will give you alot of lag... and can ofte be replaced by 0.62 housing or similar, giving you a much quicker spoolup (by sacrificing some top-end power) .... if the turbine wheel itself is not "to big" though.

There is always a dog-tag of some sort on the Bearing/Core of the turbo....often with a serial-number, and a manufacturing number and so on... that's what you need to look for.

But if it says "TURBOCHARGER T3/T4" or some shit, it's guaranteed a poor Chinese copy.... and then you could just replace the whole turbo before it blows apart and damage your engine(as many of them do..)

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Albert;1879582 said:
^ Ermahgerd fanboys!

p1879604_1.jpg