Snow plus Supra equals a very slow drive home

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
So I had my first good snow since moving to western new York and it's been going for 3 days now I never in my life thought it would take 25 minutes to drive less than a mile any thought on how to handle the snow better in a supra?

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Got studded tires on the stock rims, i'm not putting the 18's on until spring, but i honestly can't afford a beater right now, at least not until tax time. i could have driven faster home, but i don't trust other drivers right now.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Dealing with the supra in snow is not fun. I've had to do it before and am convinced I survived due in large part to luck. And I lived in a state that still allowed studded snow tires. Something else that also helped was about 400lbs of sandbags over the rear axle. Driving anywhere is stressful and requires your full attention. Even the shortest drives will leave you with frayed nerves at the end. Then I moved to a state that had freezing rain and I stopped driving the supra altogether in the winter. Considering where you live and that you do see freezing rain there I would heavily recommend you take everybody's advise and pick up a winter beater. Drop the Supra down to storage insurance and park her till the white stuff is gone.

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
I love my Supra in the snow! Tires are EVERYTHING. For winter driving, I run stock sawblades and Yokohama IG20's; and I have NO problem driving my Supra in northern Michigan snowfalls.

If you're having problems with your Supra in snow, get some better tires.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Driving the supra here isn't nearly as bad as a Trans Am in and Oklahoma Winter, i can deal with snow alot better here than i can sheets of ice that last year round cause you've only got one snow plow in the entire state there. Can't drop the car to storage insurance right now simply because the only way i could afford to get it was financing it. The good part is that i have full coverage if anything does happen

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Bah. I drive mine in snow without any problems. Regular winter tires, no studs. As long as I don't go over a couple pounds of boost I've got plenty of grip. As long as you have the right equipment, it's all about seat time.

steveo

Dec 15, 2008
Alberta
I have winter driven mine for 2 years now. In Edmonton, Alberta which see a lot of snow. I run yoko IG20's on the back and Michelin x-ice on the front. The x-ice's feel like a harder tire but they work well on the front. I always get wheel spin off red lights and stand still stop. Really it comes down to driving ability in snow. Take it slow and everything will be fine. don't over rev off the line and don't hit to much boost in other gears. Corners if the ass end gets out counter-steer and it will correct itself. Seems stupid but I take mine to deserted parking lots every once and a while just to test the handle of the car on the snow. It seems to help a lot. Bottom line though is take it slow.

barkz

Sep 14, 2010
Afghanistan
steveo;1646626 said:
I have winter driven mine for 2 years now. In Edmonton, Alberta which see a lot of snow. I run yoko IG20's on the back and Michelin x-ice on the front. The x-ice's feel like a harder tire but they work well on the front. I always get wheel spin off red lights and stand still stop. Really it comes down to driving ability in snow. Take it slow and everything will be fine. don't over rev off the line and don't hit to much boost in other gears. Corners if the ass end gets out counter-steer and it will correct itself. Seems stupid but I take mine to deserted parking lots every once and a while just to test the handle of the car on the snow. It seems to help a lot. Bottom line though is take it slow.

practicing in parking lots is a great idea...however most cops dont like it. even though you may be doing it for that reason, and not just to have fun(which it really is), the cops always say your just out there dicking around. and they kick you out and tell you if you come back theyll arrest you and get you with reckless endangerment(even with nobody else in the car?)...ask me how i know this lol

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I've been through at least 4 Wyoming winters with Supras. One n/a auto Mk3, one 5sp Mk2, and one 1j/5sp Mk3. All ran Goodyear Assurance Tripletread 225/50/16. Never had any real problem, never got stuck, even when the snow was up to the nose panel (where the badge is on the front), I made it home alright.

I figure it's half driver, half tires, right? Just be careful out there, and check out various tires. If you can afford them, I HIGHLY recommend the tripletreads. Get them on Discounttiredirect.com and you'll get them cheap enough. :)

jrot

Apr 11, 2010
knob noster, MO
you better check that insurance policy or hope you got an insane deal on your car....my insurance company(a reputable one) talked me out of full coverage because the car isnt worth anything....and even if totalled you only get what its worth not what you paid...and they dont care about what aftermarket you have on it....only way to get what you paid is if its appraised and then they will give you what they said its worth....just sayin.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I've driven mine on summer tires here, the LSD helps a hell of a lot. Don't like driving in it here though as there are far too many idiots on the road.

Oh, and we get ice storms here, fuck that lol

barkz

Sep 14, 2010
Afghanistan
^ makes a good point. you could be the best winter/snow driver in the world. but theres always that ass hole that cant drive in snow and will hunt you down just to total your car and ruin your day!

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
I'm driving my supra on ice/snow for the first time ever. I just take it SUPER slow. And so far I have been fine. And I have no winter tires on mine. But will be getting them very soon. Btw this is my first time ever seeing snow. Lol, definitely an experience.

steveo

Dec 15, 2008
Alberta
Poodles;1646803 said:
I've driven mine on summer tires here, the LSD helps a hell of a lot. Don't like driving in it here though as there are far too many idiots on the road.

Oh, and we get ice storms here, fuck that lol

I made the mistake of waiting to long last year to change my summers out and well lets just say that was an experience. I was forced to go where the car wanted to go. If the car would only go right well I guess I was turning right and pulling a U down the road. It is something I never want to do again to say the least. :)