smoking on decel ????

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
ok guys, here's another rookie question.....
my car is starting to smoke pretty bad on decel. everyone i've talked to says it's the turbo seals.... i DO have a spare turbo that has no shaft play, so i guess i could swap it out. my question is.... will installing a catch can after the valve covers help? i'm thinking that that extra oil going into the turbo might be part of the problem.
that said...... has anyone installed anything like that? if so, please post some pics so i can get an idea of how to mount everything.
thanks again............. kevin

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If it's the turbo a catch can is not going to help.

Could also be valve stem seals or rings.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
gsxr141;1971747 said:
ok guys, here's another rookie question.....
my car is starting to smoke pretty bad on decel. everyone i've talked to says it's the turbo seals....

Here is some food for thought for you. There are many more cars on the road that are naturally aspirated compared to artificial aspiration. And they smoke on deceleration. Is that from turbo seals when it doesn't have a turbo seal?

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
Nick M;1971806 said:
Here is some food for thought for you. There are many more cars on the road that are naturally aspirated compared to artificial aspiration. And they smoke on deceleration. Is that from turbo seals when it doesn't have a turbo seal?
Physics would say no, but valve steam seals and piston rings can still cause smoking on N/A motors.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Physics has nothing to do with it when there's no turbo to have a leaky turbo seal.

My '90 smokes pretty hard on decel, and still does after swapping out the turbo. It's definitely valve stem seals, which I knew beforehand.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
anything in particular that makes the stem seals give up? one of my cars did this but I didn't get a chance to take it apart before it was stolen. (had head rebuilt and put 10k miles on it) that engine also put a lot of soot on the rear bumper (from the smoking). car I have now only smokes when you floor it (lots of shaft play)

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
one of the reasons i was thinking it was the turbo is that i just put a different motor in. it seems to be exactly the same as before. i do have some light oil buildup at the top of the valve covers where the two small hoses are. that's why i thought about putting in a catch can.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Dan_Gyoba;1971898 said:
My '90 smokes pretty hard on decel, and still does after swapping out the turbo.

I was going to suggest to the author to look up all the threads with the same symptom, suggestions (false diagnosis) and failure to fix it. Not to indict your work, just a generalization.

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
Dan_Gyoba;1971898 said:
Physics has nothing to do with it when there's no turbo to have a leaky turbo seal.

My '90 smokes pretty hard on decel, and still does after swapping out the turbo. It's definitely valve stem seals, which I knew beforehand.
Physics has everything to do with it, silly uneducated Americans. Your statement speaks for itself "there's no turbo to have a leaky turbo seal". just as your valves can't exist where your pistons are you can't leak passed a turbo seal that doesn't exist.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
well, here's what i found..............
i did a leakdown on the first 3 cylinders and found..... 4.5%, 9.5%, and 15%. i stopped there and added a little oil to cyl 3, and is showed less leakdown.
looks like i'll be tearing this motor down again...... oh well.....

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
atmperformance;1971974 said:
Physics has everything to do with it, silly uneducated Americans. Your statement speaks for itself "there's no turbo to have a leaky turbo seal". just as your valves can't exist where your pistons are you can't leak passed a turbo seal that doesn't exist.

Say what?? You'd like a ban hammer? Come again?

Valves certainly have seals that leak under vacuum.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
just an update. i ended up getting a catchcan from stmtuned.com. i routed it inline between the throttle body and the intake hose. there has been less smoking so far, but i plan to change the setup again. here's how it is set up for now....

i've searched every thread about the proper way to install a catch can. i've seen everything from the way i did it to just running a hose from the valve covers to the ground. i'm going to cap off the throttle body and the intake hose and route the valve covers to the catch can and use a breather on top.
i also plan on testing out a known good turbo, as i want to upgrade anyway. :) this will help me rule out the turbo as the cause of the smoking.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
read part of this description of PCV purpose, and function, and you might understand why you don't need to alter your catch-can setup. (you got it right the first time)

"Because of the high cylinder pressures, some of the expanding gases are forced past the piston rings and find their way into the lower crankcase. These gases (commonly referred to as blow-by) consist of fuel vapor, partially burnt hydrocarbons, water vapor, and other nasty by-products of the combustion process. If these gases are not vented from the crankcase, they will eventually be absorbed into the oil and cause damage to bearings and other internal parts of the engine.

The goal of the PCV system is to provide a way to get these gases out of the engine’s crankcase and recycle them into the air/fuel mix"