smoking badly!

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
So my bestfriend bought a 2003 Mazdaspeed protege. When he bought it, it would pour black smoke from the exhaust. He got it fixed. He was driving it on95 and he blew the HG. So he had the engine rebuilt. new forged pistons, valves, rings, hg, timingbelt. When he got it back it would still still smoke. So he even bought a new GT2860 He put that in but it would still smoke. We've checked the oil return line, sent the turbo out to get inspected and came back clean. We did however find that the oil restricter on the feed was taken off for some reason. So he bought a new restrictor and installed it and it still smokes! Anyone have any ideas?? any suggestions are greatly appreciated!! Thanks,

Chris.

StiCk3

Apr 25, 2009
->IN<-
is it still smoking black smoke or is it blue? If it's still black then the car is running too rich. With the turbo on it, what kind of fuel management is he using? Any check engine lights when it started smoking? Give a detailed list of the mods he's made. It could be a number of things like bad 02 sensors, bad coolant temp sensor (car does not get out of open loop), etc.

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
blue smoke. we were checking today. We think its still the turbo
The turbo has bad play and oil pools up in the ic piping. I think they were bull shiting when they said they rebuilt the turbo. They just cleaned it up and sent it back to him. I'm not too sure on the exact mods he put in. I'll find out though.

StiCk3

Apr 25, 2009
->IN<-
supra1008;1308662 said:
blue smoke. we were checking today. We think its still the turbo
The turbo has bad play and oil pools up in the ic piping. I think they were bull shiting when they said they rebuilt the turbo. They just cleaned it up and sent it back to him. I'm not too sure on the exact mods he put in. I'll find out though.

If it's pooling up in the I/C piping, suspect the turbo oil seals. Need to have the turbo rebuilt or replaced. I would suspect it might have something to do with the missing oil restrictor. Too much oil pressure will just blow the seals especially on a garret turbo.

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
StiCk3;1308243 said:
is it still smoking black smoke or is it blue? If it's still black then the car is running too rich. With the turbo on it, what kind of fuel management is he using? Any check engine lights when it started smoking? Give a detailed list of the mods he's made. It could be a number of things like bad 02 sensors, bad coolant temp sensor (car does not get out of open loop), etc.

His current mods: GT2860rs, wiseco forged pistons 9:1, supertech dual valve springs titanium retainers and 1mm oversized valves, cometic head gasket .036, NGK colder stage iridium plugs, '96 Toyota supra TT PCV valve, ARP head studs rod and main bolts, pauter rods, vibrant catback, unichip, fmic and hard pipes, greddy bov.

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
The car is a lot better now but it still burns oil and smokes. Now it doesn't burn as much oil and smoke as much as it use to. The turbo i think is fine. There is a lot of crank case pressure. There is smoke coming out of the dipstick pipe when you take the dipstick out. Compression test averaged around 200psi.

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
Just thought I'd do an update on this since we finally got it fixed.... So it turned out that the valve train was loud cause all the shims were in the wrong spots. The smoking problem was because the idiot that had rebuilt the motor put stock sized pistons in a .020 over bored block. So the rings weren't sealing properly and there was way too much blow by causing the crank case pressure, burning and loss of oil and definately the smoking. We took the motor apart took it to a machine shop. Rebuilt a second time and shimmed the valves properly. Now it runs great.