Votes: 1 50.0%
  • naw, your screwed, time to rebuild the top end

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

tfhorst

Nov 2, 2011
pittsburgh
hello all,
i am having a bit of a freak out here. i bought a 1987 supra with 80,000 on it. it has not been on the road since 06. when i first got it i let it idle for a bit to hear how it sounded. it smoked for a bit...about 6 hours of idle time, then stopped. i got destracted and now it is 2 years later.

so it is running again, i have done nothing but jump start it with a bit of started fluid. the gas is about a year old. the oil is god knows how old but looks new still.

the smoke is back. white smoke, smells like oil, started with alot and now is getting less as i run it more.

If i have a bhg i do not want to find out after i pay insurance. it might be... hell i don't know what else would make a motor smoke for hours. but i really am hopeing that it might be something else, the oil is clean, there is no oil in the rad, and no smell of burning antifreeze anywhere.

ideas?

**edit it does not over heat either

Last edited:

jenny89

Mar 22, 2012
andersonville tn
I wouldn't even think of starting it with year old gas. Easy to drain it. It has a plug in the tank that just uses a ratchet to remove. Can't remember if it's 1/2 or 3/8 but I would drain it an put fresh fuel in. Probably not your problem but definitely can't hurt

tfhorst

Nov 2, 2011
pittsburgh
i might have an answer from someone who knows a thing or two to what is going on so i will share it with the group. because there hasn't really been much oil on my valve seals for the past 7 years they have shrank. so i blow smoke....they get coated in oil and swell a bit....it stops. i will have to invest in some fancy pants high mileage oil (or maybe some magical elixir) till i get around to pulling the head and going through all the bs that i just know will probably involve at least one broken exhaust manifold bolt.

and just to leave no stone unturned, there is nothing wrong with useing the same gas that you put in to store your car to start it. Even the people that sell gas say that without stabilizer gas will be good for up to 2 years and hopefully everyone here knows to put at least something in there tank before throwing the cover over it for a wile. do try to avoid high ethanol gas because it draws water.