Smoke, Waterfall, Burning coolant Please no.

fandffan

Aug 26, 2006
Bowling Green, OH
I'm going through coolant. I'm getting the white smoke not all the time but when it does come it stays a lil while. And then there is what sounds like small running stream when i start the car up. Please someone have another solution thatn BHG. I've been told to run a compression test, but havent yet because my compression seems to fine to me. Oh well anyone got any other ideas? And if i do have to replace it anyone want hotdogs and beer in exchange for helping me replace it?

fandffan

Aug 26, 2006
Bowling Green, OH
Cincy is 4 hours going the speed limit about. And i've already burped it. Should i try a new radiator first, befor putting a new head gasket in? And i'll look at barrowing a compression checker tomorrow as long as it is not raining.

If anyone drives a distance I'll have to check with parents about staying the night. Maybe a campout in backyard would work?(live barely in the country so we can burn things). But i'd have to check.

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
idk, 4 hours is a bit of a trip...

About replacing radiator.. if your burning coolant and smoking white smoke, then it means you have coolant in you combustion chamber. That means BHG in most all cases. For the sake of the car, discontinue running it.

Research BHG. Its a scary thing to look into, I know, but for the sake of your car, just do it. Don't put yourself in a state of denial, because it really is an easy fix if you take your time.

fandffan

Aug 26, 2006
Bowling Green, OH
I know. I've looked into it i found the TSRM in the tech section (what a newb reading something?!) And i see someone is selling an hks mhg on here for 100$. So i may have to do that this weekend. Does anyone know exactly what vacume lines i dont need? I do not care about emmisions btw :p And i'll just take them out while i'm in there.

Oh btw it's cool man there is some people a lot closer I think can come help, they aren't supra people but are avid car enthusiast.

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
If you go mhg, you need to machine the cylinder head and smooth the block. The block part requires removing the engine from the car.

Me thinks you need to do some more research.

You should get some ARP bolts, as well as a good Toyota composite gasket (since your N/A) and do it right. That should be sufficient.

Search around.

Also youll need most vacuum lines that are 'in there'. There are some 'on the top' you dont need.

fandffan

Aug 26, 2006
Bowling Green, OH
Thanks man. I didnt know you need to machine the block. I'll just go to napa and order a headgasket then. And research the rest of the week and install on saturday if all goes as planned.

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
Again,

Don't rush it. It may be your only mode of transportation, but in that respect, it needs to be fixed right.

Inspect and replace any parts that may be in question. Once your done, you will thank yourself.

Last thing for now, dont be afraid to ask questions. Search for an answer (there are answer to questions all over this site) but if you dont find what your looking for, ask. :icon_bigg
Good luck man.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Fuzz420 said:
:biglaugh:

You need to surface the head and the block if you don't want to do this job over and over again. If the engine has a bhg, chances are the deck will not be flat and will have some pitting around the coolant passages. I would give it a 75% chance it will blow in the first 5k miles if you just slap a stock hg on the old block with no surface.

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
If you want to know for sure whether the car has a bhg (which I would think you would before you start spending money on stuff) you should take it to a shop and get them to test the coolant for the presence of oil. Is your car overheating? When its smoking does the exhaust have a sweet smell to it? And bigaaron is right, if it is blown and you replace the HG, you definitely need to get both resurfaced or you will be in the same place your in now. So many people have to learn that lesson the hard way and end up giving up on such a worthy tuning platform. Listening to this advice now can save you both money and time later.