Sloshing, Splashing, etc

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Likely it is air in the cooling system and you're hearing it pass through the heater core. Others have described it as a "waterfall" type of sound.

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
CajunKenny;1608103 said:
Likely it is air in the cooling system and you're hearing it pass through the heater core. Others have described it as a "waterfall" type of sound.
Mine does something similiar,,,what if you dont have a heater core?:)

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
new headgasket hks 1.2 arp bolts done 800 miles ago. no over heating problems. no leaks. no smoke. i have a heater core just not hooked up lol. i only hear it everyonce in a while and its always after i shut off the car haha

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Get the front way up in the air or park on a hill with the nose up. Remove rad cap and let idle until the thermostat opens a few times. DON'T REMOVE THE RAD CAP WHILE THE CAR IS AT OP TEMP. (no offense, that's just my disclaimer;))

Removing the 'whipple' valve off the thermostat aids in purging air out of the system.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
There's also a tool that you hook up to the radiator filler neck, it screws on (just like a rad cap would), then you have a valve turned a certain way, hooked up to an air compressor. This sucks all the air out of the system (you have to drain the car first btw...), making it a complete vacuum in your coolant system. On the other side of all this is a bucket full of the coolant you're planning to put in the car, and a hose attached to said valve in the bucket. Once you turn the valve, it sucks all the coolant into the system, no air at all.

Trouble is, I forget what this particular device is called. All I know is my buddy Wes helped me flush out and fill my Mk2 back in the day when we were trying to trace down an overheating issue (turned out to be a bad radiator). Worked absolutely great, hopefully someone on here knows WTF I'm on about and can give us a name of this tool. :)

Oh, and if you have a heater core but haven't hooked it up, you're possibly hearing coolant that got stuck in it sloshing around while you drive. ;)

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
it's not like this burping thing is rocket science or very hard for that matter, burp it and if the waterfall comes back soon you've got differant issues

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I agree that it's not rocket science, but the other method I suggested works on flat ground and guarantees that you won't have to burp it twice. Also takes a lot less time. :)