Slipping Clutch Diagnosis (PICS)

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Kenny,

I have an ACT clutch set up as well, and mine has began to slip as well, and Ive only been driving on mine for 9 months. :) I broke mine properly as well. At least to the best of my knowledge. So this may be a new thing that has developed from ACT. Just food for thought.

-David

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Hope this is not a trend. That clutch disk in the pic looks awful, but if they say its normal....

I just switched from RPS 3200 6puck combo to an ACT extreme 6 Puck setup. No complaints at all. Much smoother engaging than the RPS ever was. Again i hope this is not a trend, though I am using a 6-puck vs. your disk setup which could be the difference.

PS - clutch pedal always should be adjusted after a new one is installed. It can preload the clutch causing it to not fully engage. Personally for both clutches I never had to adjust it, I just know it should be checked. Its very awkward to get to, if you're a big person, consider removing the front seat.

Edit: is its possible your PP bolts were not fully tightened or maybe backed out causing uneven pressure?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
IBoughtASupra;1689519 said:
I always adjust the pedal to have an inch of play wheather using a stock or aftermarket clutch.

That's where my buddy's is. About 1-2 inches of "free-play" until it starts engaging.

airhead04;1689524 said:
Kenny,

I have an ACT clutch set up as well, and mine has began to slip as well, and Ive only been driving on mine for 9 months. :) I broke mine properly as well. At least to the best of my knowledge. So this may be a new thing that has developed from ACT. Just food for thought.

-David

Bummer man...

IwantMKIII;1689550 said:
Hope this is not a trend. That clutch disk in the pic looks awful, but if they say its normal....

I just switched from RPS 3200 6puck combo to an ACT extreme 6 Puck setup. No complaints at all. Much smoother engaging than the RPS ever was. Again i hope this is not a trend, though I am using a 6-puck vs. your disk setup which could be the difference.

PS - clutch pedal always should be adjusted after a new one is installed. It can preload the clutch causing it to not fully engage. Personally for both clutches I never had to adjust it, I just know it should be checked. Its very awkward to get to, if you're a big person, consider removing the front seat.

Edit: is its possible your PP bolts were not fully tightened or maybe backed out causing uneven pressure?

Yep, he said that the clutch looks normal and has no evidence of slippage; but, in the same breath he said that it looks like it is slipping due to an improperly adjusted clutch pedal...? I'm guessing that's the standard "Dodge the Bullet" approach.

Only two PP bolts were looser than the rest. Loctite next time!

The clutch pedal adjustment makes sense to me. Maybe that's the root cause.

What I'm going to do now is compare thickness measurements between the Fidanza and the Stock Flywheel. If there's a noticeable difference between the two, then to me, that would confirm the clutch pedal theory and I'll get a new disk and try again. If the measurements are fairly close, I'll rethink all of this and maybe do something different.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the meantime...the additional requested pics will be emailed to Ryan in the morning...

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Spoke with Ryan after sending him the pictures. He didn't see anything out of the norm so he chalked the slippage up to an improperly adjusted clutch pedal. Fair enough...

I then pointed out the discrepancy on the website regarding the TS2-XTSS and said that my purchase was based on the incorrect info listed there. I went on to explain that I wasn't looking for a handout; but, any available price break would be greatly appreciated since I would never have purchased that particular clutch had I known of its lower TQ rating.

He agreed that my request wasn't unreasonable and offered me the Highest rated disk (622 Crank - 6 Puck) at cost plus shipping. I took him up on that offer and extended my gratefulness.

It should be in my hands on Monday.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
I have the ACT HD Street Disk with HD pressure plate (TS2-HDSS) for over 10k hard miles and it has worked perfectly. About 1.5k miles after installing the clutch I pulled the drivetrain out and think my disk looked pretty similar if memory serves me correctly (slight wear on the disk, but I could still easily read ACT on the friction surface). Car makes approx. 400 crank hp.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
You will be happy with the 6 puck. Personally I use the sprung 6 with Xtreme PP and it engages very nicely. I stall every once in a while but that's just because I forget im not still on my RPS which has a very different engage point (far towards the steering wheel side versus close to the floor with the ACT setup) lol.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
My 6 puck sucked. I also found that the throw out bearing "spacer" was missing under the wave washer when I tore it down though. I'm sure that didnt help but in general I hated long drives because it was such a work out to avoid chatter and start on inclines..

Ken you know all this already, I preached your ear off on the phone but you got to do something to rein in that 360fttq..;)

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Thanks for the input everyone!

grimreaper;1691728 said:
My 6 puck sucked. I also found that the throw out bearing "spacer" was missing under the wave washer when I tore it down though. I'm sure that didnt help but in general I hated long drives because it was such a work out to avoid chatter and start on inclines..

Ken you know all this already, I preached your ear off on the phone but you got to do something to rein in that 360fttq..;)

The chatter will have to be an expense of the ability to reliably put down ~430 ft-lb of TQ to the wheels. As it was, the current clutch wasn't holding ~360. :nono:

And once I install my Flux Capacitor.....who knows what'll happen! ;)

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
CajunKenny;1691766 said:
Thanks for the input everyone!

The chatter will have to be an expense of the ability to reliably put down ~430 ft-lb of TQ to the wheels. As it was, the current clutch wasn't holding ~360. :nono:

And once I install my Flux Capacitor.....who knows what'll happen! ;)

Yeah it took me sometime to get used to the 6 puck, but now it is really just if it I get caught in stop n go traffic that is bad... the downshifting I treat it like an older truck in which I would give the throttle a little bump before I engage the lower gear, reduced the downshift chatter to nothing... From a stop, I always let the traffic ahead of me gain a little space so that I can just go and not drag out of a stop...

Anyway not as big of a deal as pulling the tranny again that is for sure...:icon_bigg

Also as I am sure you already determined, but your question on txt about flywheel bolts, yes they were ARPs from Diftmotion and I used red-loctite with them...

And last but not least... The delta value of mass on a supra vs a delorean is about 800 lbs or app 28%, so in theory you are going to need 1.4 gigwatts of electricity and your speed will need to be at 112mph... I know it is last on your list to get done, but give you something to gnaw on :icon_bigg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I can hold myself on a hill with mine, but it took a while to get to that point. In stop and go traffic it gets tiresome though (MKIII clutch has never been what I would consider "light")