Slight issue with the A340E

89Joe

POTATOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
Not sure if I should worry about this or not but I've noticed my auto acting weird while I drive. It's like it slips out of gear periodically or downshifts when it shouldn't. Here's a video of what I'm talking about. My throttle is properly adjusted so I'm not sure if this is solenoid related or something's just not getting through. Could it be on it's way out? The fluid is still clean and doesn't smell burnt so I'm not sure what it could be. I'll check for codes when I get some time. Let me know what you guys think!

http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n161/89Joe9891/?action=view&current=Zi6_1926.flv

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
How do you get slipping or downshifting from that video? Both of those events would be an increase in engine speed.

If it was the transmission, it would be like an upshift or the converter locking when it shouldn't. The engine is lugging, which could be an engine problem also.

Do the same test with range selector unplugged, doing it L1 L2 and D. Don't forget to pull DTCs.

89Joe

Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
Well, the video is showing how it wont stay in any one gear while I was going less then 20mph with my foot slightly on the gas. Typically, when I'm driving it'll upshift, then drop down a gear almost immediately after, like I dropped it down with the shifter. I don't have this problem all the time though. Usually around town it's ok, but at low speeds it acts up.

What am I looking for in this test? I'll try to make a better video. Thanks for the help.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
How is speedo? If its "loose" the speed sensor may be getting inaccurate readings causing erratic shifting.

Sometimes my auto will up shift when just putting along at low speeds, but as soon as I put a little gas to it downshifts.

As said, a new filter could help, and it couldnt hurt. I changed the fluid in the pan and the filter right after I picked mine up because it shifted a little hard, the fluid and filter change helpped a little. Good luck!

89Joe

Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
Speed sensor? Huh, where is the little guy located? I'll have to take a look. I remember when I changed the filter on my last auto! It was a pain in the ass! I thought it'd solve my lock-up solenoid problem but no, eh I'll probably look into both either way. I just haven't been able to do much! 107* outside doesn't make for a pleasant wrenching atmosphere. Thanks guys.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
Take it in for a tranny flush. I was doing them at my last mechanic job, and they work great. It's much better than just dropping the pan, and draining the fluid. Even though your fluid looks good, it may be getting pretty tired. As it gets older, some of the additives break down, and can cause problems. For example, I did a flush on my girls Sorento about two years ago. She puts a lot of miles on the car. Since the flush, she's clocked over 60,000 miles and her tranny was starting to shift hard. She took it on for another flush, last Sat., and the tranny is working like new. Most auto trannys carry 12 qts or more of fluid, and you only change 3 or 4 when you drop the pan. A flush will exchange all of it. They're about 140.00 now, in most places I've seen.

89Joe

Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
This thread really deterred me from getting a flush.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11898&highlight=transmission+flush

I think I might end up changing the filter and maybe flushing it the cooler line way. One end in a bucket of clean fluid, the other draining the rest out. That way I know I'm not using any kind of solvent or bs "wonder cleaner." I appreciate the advice though, I'm just so apprehensive about the Jiffy lubes and express lubes, and all those little oil change shops. It's just to damn hot too get outside and do anything!

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
I was doing them all the time, in one of the shops I worked at. Did it on mine, and my girlfriend's. She just had it done again two weeks ago, and her tranny performs beautifully. I can understand how you might be leery of some of those quick change places, but you should be able to find a reputable shop that can perform this service. jdub, and I just had a spirited conversation about this earlier. You can certainly change the filter, it definitely can't hurt, but still take it to a reputable shop, and have the flush done. If done correctly, all your fluid will be brand new. A lot of dealerships seem to be doing them now, and many dealerships have branched out into working on all makes of cars. Perhaps you could try that route.

89Joe

Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
I checked for codes the other day and didn't get anything. Maybe its just normal for it to do what it does! I'll definitely look into getting it flushed though, I'm just a little hard up for cash these days! I'll just have to ride the 900 around more often til then! :evil2:

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Personally, i'd trust Jon @ MDC over you, especially given his familiarity with Mk3's, and the fact he's been around longer. I would make DAMN SURE that no flush involved ANY kind of solvent, before i would allow my 340 to be flushed.

Change the filter, and do the fluid first, if it's still doing it....then come back - a filter isn't much from Toyota, and the fluid is cheap enough.