SKS...LETS DOOO IT SM! Help me Tacticool the hell out of this thing...

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Why?

CAUSE I FUCKING SAID SO....

Yea...

I wanna see some stocks first....the rarer and more obsurd they are the better....lets do it!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Before you do anything, install a Murray's Firing Pin.

After that, tacticool is dumb :p Personally I'm a fan of a gorgeous wood stock on them, but anyway.

- They make a rear cover with a scope mount
- They make high-cap removable mags for them (or you can have it modified it to accept AK mags)
- They make every kind of stock imaginable. They even make bullpup setups for it.

All of this is shit though unless you remove the danger of the firing pin sticking and accidently making a full auto weapon. It's the only real weak point of the gun (well, outside of it being cheaply made and everything that goes with that)

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Poodles;1897406 said:
Before you do anything, install a Murray's Firing Pin.

After that, tacticool is dumb :p Personally I'm a fan of a gorgeous wood stock on them, but anyway.

- They make a rear cover with a scope mount
- They make high-cap removable mags for them (or you can have it modified it to accept AK mags)
- They make every kind of stock imaginable. They even make bullpup setups for it.

All of this is shit though unless you remove the danger of the firing pin sticking and accidently making a full auto weapon. It's the only real weak point of the gun (well, outside of it being cheaply made and everything that goes with that)

I've read that the only reason for the firing pin being shit is from people not cleaning them and they get stuck. If they are cleaned and properly lubricated with a low friction lubrication then this solves the issue. I've read some bad shit about murray's firing pin.

Rear cover scope...I've thought about it, but I'm looking more for an acog scope as a big scope is useless.

I know, but it already holds 10 in the mag well...that's plenty for me.

All I've found is tapco and ATI :( I'm looking for something different.

And I like the wood stock, and will be keeping it, but let's be honest it's a $200 fun to shoot rifle, with ammo that they still make lol

Now find me a stock!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The issue is the firing pin doesn't have a return spring (early ones did, and it was part of the original design), and it's a tapered hole. The Murray pin is stainless so it doesn't rust as well.

On the mag, it's up to you, but stripper clips are harder to use than a removable magazine :)

Stocks seem to be more rare, guess the SKS isn't as popular as it once was... TAPCO is a good manufacturer though, so not sure exactly what you're wanting. The bullpup I know of is the SG Works one: http://sgworks.com/

I've also heard the SKS isn't super accurate (AK levels), so don't to a build expecting such things.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
True, but I'm fine with no mag lol.

Yea stocks are only a few to pick from it seems, gonna have to dig some more. My whole idea for this, is to make a fun cheap rifle...that's about it, I'm don't care for accuracy, that's what the AR-10 and 30.06 is for.

Basically looking for a stupid fun gun.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Mario, I've had silly amounts of fun with shotguns before, if you don't have one of those.

Frankly, the one time I did shoot an SKS, I was grateful for the wood stock. If that gun didn't have a bit of heft to it, I'm sure we all would have been a bit more sore the next day...

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
te72;1897839 said:
Mario, I've had silly amounts of fun with shotguns before, if you don't have one of those.

Frankly, the one time I did shoot an SKS, I was grateful for the wood stock. If that gun didn't have a bit of heft to it, I'm sure we all would have been a bit more sore the next day...

Hmm, haven't shot it yet but plan on shooting it tomorrow...

Why does no one like tacticooling these things? lol to me this is a cheap plinker...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Poodles;1897792 said:
Stocks seem to be more rare, guess the SKS isn't as popular as it once was...

There are too many carbines of acceptable caliber that deliver incapacitation with one shot that are now better. More money, but better.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
The aftermarket sks removable mags are notoriously unreliable from what I've seen when I was looking into getting one.

This was the stock I was looking into: http://www.combatstocks.com/Choate_Dragunov_SKS_Stock_BlackON_SALE.cfm

I like the dragunov style, and its one of the few stocks I could find that accommodated spacers and a rubber but stop where I wouldn't run into issues with gun laws in Canada with it being collapsible or foldable. The only downside is it doesn't have a proper lower rail for mounting a bipod or a foregrip so one would have to be added after the fact.

Also they make a raised scope mount that still allows proper usage for the stock iron sights that may be worth looking into.