Simple Ebay parts, would you put it on your car?

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
First off I'm not really big into brand names, I like stuff that works. There are some parts I do not agree on being a cheap ass on, like electronics or a turbo but some simple stuff on ebay is so cheap its almost worth trying. I have been pricing out a 3" inlet muffler to extend my dumped exhaust, a blow off valve that I can recirculate and a simple manual boost controller. I don't mind coughing up extra money for the brand name stuff if I can justify the extra cost of it.

For example I can get a ebay type s bov and 2.5" pipe w/flange for around $40 shipped compared to over $200 for the greddy bov with no pipe or flange. Also a 3" inlet muffler for around $45 shipped and a $20 ball and spring mbc.

Anyone tried and used any of these parts?

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
materials, workmanship, quality, made in china, there are lots of arguments for paying for the brand name parts. do whatever you want, but dont expect sympathy when one of them breaks and leaves you stranded or blows up your motor.

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
Well I don't see how a muffler can blow my engine, a bov could get stuck open and make the car run like crap and the ball and spring mbc is very simple and not a china built part. I guess I could spin a muffler bearing if I'm not careful

Blackdawg

Taco Soup..my rides
Oct 12, 2010
Wyoming
basicly a good rule to go by is if it doesnt have moving parts then ebay parts arent bad. like DPs. i wouldnt get a BOV or WG or turbo from them. at least i wouldnt personally.

I think Driftmotion is the best bet. They are better quality the ebay and have prices close to the same prices.

can get an HKS style BOV with flange for 87 bucks. and its proven to work.

or just get the whole intercooler kit for 400 bucks. thats a steal of deal there IMO. i got it.

Plus id just get an EBC not a MBC

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
I agree that I wouldn't run an ebay turbo until its proven to last or a wastegate because if that goes bad most likely it will cost you a motor. What I really want is someone who can convince me to not buy these cheap simple ebay parts.

So does anyone actually have or had one of these universal mufflers, bov's, mbc's, ect. or personally saw one fail?

Scruggs86.5T

Dec 8, 2007
Slidell, LA
I have used the ebay mufflers before, I personally like the sound of them. The one I used was a 3 inch inlet with a 4 inch out. I would have to dig to find one. I also used a mbc from ebay. I worked great for what it was. I think it was like 15 bucks. I don't know if I would trust the bov though. If it fails and doesn't open it could damage your turbo. It might just be me but I would rather have the extra security with a proven bov.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

CT26smoker

Banned
May 25, 2010
Houston
A chinese waste gate diaphram failure will overboost, and can make a mess of things....
And I have seen a lot of them fail.

Chinese intercoolers typicly weigh more, and have a higher pressure drop than a name brand intercooler.

Chinese pistons & rods aren't worth their cheaper price.

I have seen nothing but problems with chinese manifolds, including:
cracking,
weld chunks breaking off, and going through the turbo and engine,
warped flanges that don't seal,
and mystery stainless steel that scales over like old water pipes in 6 months of use.

And with our county's ecconomy tanking because of cheap chinese imports that are running our manufacturing out of business,
why would anyone even put a chinese shift knob on their car ??

roystunna

May 27, 2009
USA
Brand name parts have a lot of research behind their pricing, the muffler might be ok, but how long will it last before it burns out or rust a hole ? brand name ones are better material and perform better, you will find out on the highway at 2500 rpms if its a quiet ride or sound resonating and vibrating everywhere, blow off valves can fail, and the $15 MBC can also fail. Ask yourrself this: if you have a precision or garret turbo do you wanna trust its life to a 15$ MBC and BOV ?. If you are overly cost conscious, check out the for sale sections here, people part out cars all the time and have good parts at very resonable prices, not to mention if you ever need to, you can put a HKS BOV for sale and have it sold in no time, try doing that with "Ebay brand" BOV!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Mufflers are usually cheaply packed with fiberglass leading to them not muffling down the line... If they're built like motorcycle mufflers (i.e. if the end caps are riveted on) they're rebuildable.

Chinese exhaust manifolds and intercoolers are fine...

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
non moving parts (manifolds, downpipes, etc) can be fine, but as i ran into with my downpipe, they dont always fit the best, and sometimes require modification. if you are aware of this, its not a big deal, but if our not, it can be a major pain in the ass.

supranz

May 23, 2010
Christchurch
B.O.V. I would (and have) fork out for a name brand. A friend of mine has gone through 5 replica branded one's in the time I put my name brand B.O.V. on. And we worked out awhile ago that the money (and time) he has spent screwing round with it, is more then what I paid for my B.O.V. My one is GFB brand, australian made (since I'm in NZ), they're good strong parts but are more affordable to the average joe. Pretty much repeating what has been said, if it has moving parts go genuine, but in saying that, there are good proven brands other then the top of the line HKS Greddy etc. that are cheaper.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Personally, i would be fine putting an ebay exhaust manifold, intercoolers and piping, etc on my car. Intake mani is pushing it, and definately no BOVs or wastegates.

and IMO, i wouldnt go with an ebay muffler. too cheap and im not a fan of the can (heh, it rhymes. :p)

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I would take the shape of the engine as a factor first... You put any of this stuff on a wore-out-7M and you will likely blow something up, and blame these parts. Also, depends on what you are trying to do... time/quality/cost.

Are you just trying to go single and looking at pieces, or do you HAVE TO replace something now?

In my daily use 2JZ, I have a few of these items and am satisfied with their performance/cost. Boost is 8-10 PSI... 363HP the last time we checked.

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
I already have a t3/t4 precision sc61 and I'm going to be trying out a few low budget ebay items and see if they actually work. If they don't work, they are cheap enough to not bother me but if they do work I will let you guys know and hopefully help a few guys out in the process.

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
Two things:

One is that there is a difference between "Made in China" and Engineered elsewhere and manufactured in China... So there has to be much more than - Well it is Ebay, therefore must be Made in China... Do your research, look at feedback, contact seller, ask them questions about the product, its history, where it was designed, who manufactures it and where, what is the Quality Control process... etc etc...

Personally I think there are some things that are over-priced just because of a name and there are some things that are expensive because they are built well...

What I do know is that I do not believe anyone can build a quality BOV for $40... so I would be leery about that... DPs, interior parts etc... just remember that real cheap is usually real cheaply made...

2nd item - perhaps off topic slightly, but was brought up in the thread... so figure I will add a quick $0.02

Do not think that the Made in America soap box works well when we are dealing with a car engineered and manufactured in Japan and most OEM parts are made in Japan... Also many many name brands have moved to China... I was surprised when I put my New Foose wheels on... now made in china... Most electronics like stereo equipment, PC, Dell, HP Compaq all China... Nike, Reebok, Danner boots... Look at most American Flags sold in stores... yep made in China... There is a root issue of there not being the availability of everyday people to be able to find alternate items made in USA versus China... We should be adding high tariffs on the imports from China so they are too expensive to be worth importing... Or simply boycott Walmart... Ol Walt would turn over in his grave if he saw what is kids have done to that business...

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
ebaycheaper.jpg

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
bioskyline;1665002 said:

Sometimes that is true... again understanding a business structure, someone can also sell items of the up-most quality and sell them cheaper, as if they are selling from their house, they do not have the same overhead cost as someone with a warehouse and a shop...

Also some of the intention of E-commerce are, to save overhead of talking to a person on the phone to take your order or a person at a counter to take your order, a person to collect the money etc... so even larger stores like Summit Racing have Ebay stores... their product does not automatically become less reliable because they sell it on Ebay, does it?

You can also find such name brands as AEM, HKS, Greddy, Denso, Bosch, Siemens and on and on and on... The trashing of Ebay that happens often on this site is getting old... the buyer needs to take responsibility for verifying before they buy... Just because someone is willing to sell a piece of crap for a cheap price, in no way means that you have to buy it... That is like saying that everything that Walmart sells is crap... much of it is, but they also sell some quality brands of items. Craiglist... another example... Ebay is a means for utilizing Ecommerce for your business without having to invest in your own webstore etc... or just a way for someone to sell something that they no longer need...

For my build, here are a few of the items I bought through the Ebay site:
Synapse BOV - Typical Price $200, I bought new for $165
Siemens 550cc injectors w/clips- Typical Price $450 - I bought set of 6 new w/ clips $295 from Ebay seller
MaftPro with all sensors - Typical $750 IIRC - I paid for a lightly used one (has worked great for months) $300 on Ebay
Good but used OEM items like - ICSV, TPS, Coil Packs
IC piping Kit
4 layer Silicone adapters and couplers for 50% less

I could keep going...

It is not about whether it is on Ebay or not, it is about whether the seller is reputable and is the seller's product of intelligent engineering, quality materials, quality craftsmanship and is it backed up with a warranty from either the seller or the manufacture in which the seller is representing...