Similar thread to the PSP one, My PS2 stopped reading discs

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I let my GF borrow it and she called and let me know that it was starting to freeze up while playing Guitar hero. I came over and played it, sure enough it start doing it. I took it home, put in a disc, "error reading disc" or something like that appears and the screen goes dark. It will read a dvd, but I can't skip chapters or go right to the main menu or it freezes, then, when it does play the DVD it's choppy and freezes up eventually :1zhelp:.

The discs are clean and so it the lazer just by looking at the lense on it.... Oh, and it's the newer style, itty bitty PS2's...

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
there have to be things online for this. try a gaming forum. there is a barrage of help for xbox DRE's....so there has to be a "common problem" list for the slip ps2 i would imagine.

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
same thing happened to my xbox. i read up on it and i ended up having to replace the whole dvd drive. microsoft used three different drives for them and i got the cheap one that wears out fast. so i got the top of the line one and its been working ever since. not sure about the ps2 but im sure its got to do with the same thing. really easy fix

cartel1_950

supra is gone
Jan 30, 2006
calgary
yeah i was gonna say just lenese clean it. my old ps2 did the same thing and i just popped it in and voila works great

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
GF User error? :) Did she let the thing get really dusty or something?

I have an original 1st release PS2 and still going strong after all these years. :cool:

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I got one the first day they were released. It lasted maybe 2 months then shit out on me, crappy drivers on the first realeases. The PS2 hadn't been over there, but for a week maybe, and no, I keep it dust free. No signs of physical damage either...

I've gone through several PS2's due to driver failures and stupid shit like that. I finally start returning them to Wal-Mart before the 60 day shit was up for a newer one.. Guess I should have done it with this one too... Time will tell, I'll pop in the Disc, but I'm not crossing my fingers...

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Bad luck I guess. :dunno: Everyone I know with a 1st release PS2 still has their's functioning fine. Except for a couple that don't take care of them at all.

hmm...

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
I've had my PS2 for a little over 6 years and I've had zero problems with it. I keep it clean, I keep my discs clean and I keep the area where it sits clean.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
My friend also had a first release, his had the same problems as mine did... I miss the bigger style PS2's. We've still got one in the house, but it's my room mate's, not mine. They were built better IMO.

GeneStarWindGSW

Been To The Other Side...
Mar 25, 2007
No Man's Land
www.bidmingle.com
My PS2 BARELY reads disc anymore. Takes 5-10 minutes to load a disc & thats if i don't get the RSOD (the this isn't a valid ps2 game disc) and i've tried cleaning the laser with one of those CD lens cleaner & that shit don't work that good. I've had my PS2 for about 7 years now. Two ways i know that i've fixed it before was to take it apart & get a air compressor & clean the whole laser assembly or buy a new laser lens. Cost you about $20-40 for a new or used one from ebay or some sites they sell them from. Best bet to fix it if its REAL bad like mines.

Hopefully you got the first type gen PS2 like i do though. The Slim ps2 or the PSTwo or w/e i don't like it at all.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
JustAnotherVictim said:
Had to clean mine once.
Keep it further away from the floor now.

My PS2 is a real trooper. I dropped it about 4 feet on hard ground and the fan was knocked out of place and stopped spinning. So it would overheat in about 5 minutes. I kept it on my window ledge to keep it cool(and it worked). One day the wind blew it over and knocked it on the ground pretty hard, again. It knocked the fan back in place and it's been working find ever since. :p

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I've killed a friends PS2 before from a ~4 foot drop when I sat back on the couch playing guitar hero and cord wasn't long enough... Ouch.

I keep my PS2 on the dresser.