Side vents (question)

Mercury

Nov 8, 2017
San Diego, CA
Hey everyone,
I have recently registered on your forum, as I finally got my Supra (it's 1995). Now, the shop is doing body work about it, as in certain places it has dents and tiny rusty spots. So it'll be completely repainted. I've already got a set of bumpers and side skirts, and there is one more thing I wanted to ask you about.
It is a set of side vents that go behind the front wheels if you look at the Supra's side. Now, they are not the vents that are in fenders, that's not something I want. These guys go at the very beginning of the side skirt.
What do you call them the right way? Cause my search by 'side vents' was not successful haha
Here is the pic of what I am talking about - https://www.carid.com/gallery/toyota/
Thanks

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Are you talking about the hole just to the rear of the doors? Those are inlets for cooling air for the brakes on most cars. I've never taken much time to look at the Mk4, but it is likely for brake cooling. Brake cooling vents might be the correct term here.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
It's been something of a long "short" week for me, so perhaps I'm a bit confused, but did you find the answer you were looking for?

Stock Mk4 doesn't have any sort of vent where you circled, at least not that I've noticed anyway? On some cars the engine bay vents through a hole in the side of the front fenders, it's a great way of alleviating under hood pressure...