Should I trade my turbo for a non turbo mkIII?

To trade or not to trade

• Trade for the n/a, and sell my civic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sell for cash, and keep my civic

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Sell for cash and spend the money on booze and meth!!!

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
Hey everyone, as some of you know, I recently decided to part ways with my 88 mkIII turbo 7m. I sold many of the parts and am now selling the shell. A local supra owner contacted me with an interesting offer. He offered to trade me an 86.5 black (gray interior) supra with a claimed 86k original miles straight across. He says the car runs great and he replaced the head gasket with a felpro recently. However, he reused the stock head bolts!!!! The only way for me to go through with this is, I would keep my arp headstuds and replace them with the stock head bolts. He sent me pics and it looks pretty good (although the pics are blurry and from his phone, so I can't be too sure). I'm asking $1600 for my shell.
I already have a dd. It's an 86 honda civic dx hatch with si wheels. It runs great and gets even better gas mileage. I've never driven a non-turbo, and I'm sure they aren't the 500+ whp that I used to have. Nevertheless, the MKIII holds a special place in my heart. I now have an 06 zx14 so I don't need a money pit, just a daily driver. What do you guys (and you few girls out there too) think I should do. Sell my car for cash (cause I owe $8400 on my bike), or hold true to the MKIII and stay in the game...... even though its na. Either way, I'll end up with one daily driver and some cash. Here are the pics he sent me.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I drove an NA Mk3 for 12 years.

It actually seemed faster off the line. It was fun to drive, but definitely lacked punch in the upper end.

It was a good, solid car, and treated me well. At 350,000 kms, the valve stem seals had gone, and after blowing a hose, the head gasket (of course) went, so I took the plunge and bought a 7M-GTE to drop in.

I dislike FWD, so... I'd take the Supra, if the cash issue was solveable without.

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
The important thing is, I NEED a reliable car. My civic has been that for me, and it actually doesn't look half bad with the SI wheels. I don't want another Supra that requires so much attention. I put all of my money towards paying off my bike...... I don't like being in this much debt.

SupraMaster

Pure Street Racing
Mar 24, 2008
Washington
www.facebook.com
Here is a nice compromise. Trade the shell off for the fresh build. Keep everything. Drive the piss out of the Honda that you covet so closely. When it breaks, and you're out of this perpetual financial hole you are in, put new fluids in the Supra and possibly a temporary lift kit, and run over the Honda. Problem solved.

You get the Supra. You get a DD. You get out of debt.

Be warned, though. If you kill yourself on the crotch rocket I WILL take the MkIII of your hands.:icon_evil

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
Dude keep you car ..... Buy the civic ..... Park the Supra until your money is right. A 22 year old car isn't the right car to be your DD, unless you can spend the money and time to make it reliable. I bought a beater of civic a while back. I have put 100,000 miles on it and all I do is change the oil and tires. The civic cost $154 for 6months of insurance. If you keep the supra just put a car cover it and let it sit and it wont cost you a dime!

I still have my 90 civic even though it looks like crap and i could not stand driving the car after a year and half i bought a 98 maxima for 1500 because it need a tranny and clutch that was another $1000 to get it back on the road, and I haven't driven the supra since last summer.

Now I have some money to play this expensive game ...... My car is running and I am taking her to pass emission then she is off to the paint shop!!

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
I already own the civic, the question at hand is, would the supra be as reliable as the civic. I'm thinking not, and upkeep and parts are much cheaper on the civic...... although i know my way around a mkiii already....

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
sounds to me like you dont need a money pit or for that matter 2 cars and a bike. Keep the honda, sell the shell and put it towards paying off the bike.

just my opinion

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
uhm...keep the civic. Better gas milage, cheaper to maintain. Plus, the supra is an NA, you already know what kind of problem supras run into, even an NA. So, keep the civic, enjoy your bike, and save the money for your future plans.

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
ya, I agree with you guys. Thanks for the answers. I'm going to keep the civic and sell the shell. I want to get debt free asap. /thread