should I sell it for 1,500?

Alex91Mk3

timeshares exchange
Jun 30, 2006
Miami, Fl
www.myspace.com
I've had my 91mk3 na for about 11 yrs and have gone through 3 motors and put in an r154. I let my father in law borrow it while I used his minivan to pick up a crib. I went to pick it up at his house and it reeked of beer. Apparently he is an alcoholic and I didn't know.:3d_frown: I thought that the the worst of it. I turn on the car and drive it down home and I notice it starts to knock. Rod knock? What else could it be right? He denies of course that it is his fault. I can't afford to fix it..again, but I don't want to part ways with it either. I put it on craigslist and got a response. The guy came to look at it last night and text me this morning " Ok im just confirming. I am taking the car. Im coming to get it tomorow night. So consider it sold,So dont advertise it anymore. Its mine ok ?" I'm having some second thoughts because of the sentimental value. I know it's just a car but it's been part of me for 11yrs and I've put a lot of sweat into the Supra. Not sure what to do. Kinda sucks.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I would sell. 1500 for a mkiii with a junk motor is not a bad selling price. I bought a good running mkiii for 1000, A n/a with rod knock for 750, and a turbo running well but really rough for 500. So thats a great selling price.

What is the body and interior like?

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
Logically it makes since to sell. Come on $1500 for a vehicle that will not be moving under its own power soon is a pretty sweet deal. But the Supra fiend in me says " it's a 91! And (judging by your sig pic), the body is in great shape! Drop a gte or a 2j in this bitch and roll!" What it really comes down to is if your finances agree.

Also keep in mind, its just a car....

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
dude, it comes with the r154...1j/2j swap potential. the guy wanting to buy it prob has one just laying around and thats why he wants it so bad.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
ill give you $300 for it... Ship it to me in parts.. All supras have to be put together anyways...

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
It depends on your situation man...do you have another vehicle to drive? If not you probably should sell it because $1500 isn't bad for a non running car. If u have a Daily driver and think you can save up some money to do it again than do it. However if you can only save up enough money to get it running again and not to do it right than don't even try it or we will see another thread just like this one from u in the future.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
If you don't have the funds to fix it, it's time to sell and move on. Assuming the car isn't immaculate, it doesn't have shadow grey interior and it's not running well, $1500 isn't bad. If a time comes when you can afford a few grand on a fun car, there will be plenty of mk3's available that run for not too much more.

I can relate to the sentimental value. That's always a tough decision. If it helps, just think of the experience you gained. That's really what matters. You can take that 11 yrs of ownership and apply it to the next project when you're in a better situation.

Alex91Mk3

timeshares exchange
Jun 30, 2006
Miami, Fl
www.myspace.com
dewme5;1958462 said:
Until you have cash in hand, is yours to do with it what you want. Including not selling.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

He wants to pay through PayPal as soon as he gets here. Is that the right way? Will it be immediate payment? Or does have to clear?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Absolutely not. Cash on hand, or send him home. Keep it advertised until it is officially sold. Contact him and tell him it's a no go with the paypal, especially when he's local and in person to pick it up. Cash deal only.
And yes, $1500 with junk motor is a good sell.

BTW, has he even seen the car in person yet? Don't hold your breath on him buying. He may be one of many to try to have you hold the car until them come "buy" it. When they get there they'll nick pick everything and try to bring the price down. That's the nature of selling a car, nothing personal.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I can relate to the sentimental value. I bought my '89 on Feb 29, 1996. It was a low-mileage NA, in beautiful shape.

Now, almost 18 years later, it's got a 7M-GTE, R154, 3.909:1 differential, and until it developed rod knock last year, had loads of power, but the half million kilometers have taken a toll on the body.

As far as sentimental value... I'm going to fix it up. It's going to be WAY too much work, about a minus 5 on the 1 to 10 practicality scale. This is fueled by 2 things. One is that I want to learn how to do some of the stuff that I'll need to do to fix it and the other is my daughter, and some history. My daughter has always known this car. It's been around her whole life, and she loves it. The history is that I remember my father's 1969 Buick Riviera, and although I didn't know that car my whole life (He bought it used when I was 8) I certainly loved it. I have never really forgiven him for selling it when I was 17.

So, the '89 stays as a project car. My daughter is going to learn a lot about fixing and working on cars helping me restore it (That is... If she ever wants to drive it she will.)

I didn't really think that Supra could be replaced... But I'm slipping into my 1990 Targa pretty comfortably. I certainly missed some of the things that I'd done to my '89 to make it suit me better, but I'm slowly yet surely bringing it into line. Little things, like the TRD shift knob, climate control LEDs. Bigger things like the huge turbo, boost control and the like are a bit longer in getting ready, but they're coming. The newer Supra feels (not surprisingly) just like the old one, very familiar, and very comfortable. (Though I still haven't gotten used to the whole targa shake thing. That kinda weirds me out. A Supra shouldn't DO that.) It probably helps that they're both medium grey on 3E5 red, but I'm sure that I'd get used to a different colour scheme fast enough.)

So... If you can't/won't fix it, by all means sell it. Even with high sentimental value, it's still replaceable. I believe that you'll find that what you're really attached to is a Mk3 Supra, not necessarily the one with that VIN.

Alex91Mk3

timeshares exchange
Jun 30, 2006
Miami, Fl
www.myspace.com
Yeah I went on my first date with my wife in it. It broke down on the way to Orlando for Xmas from Miami. Lol. That was an interesting one. I moved to an apartment complex so can't keep it sitting for long before the association starts to ask about it.

Alex91Mk3

timeshares exchange
Jun 30, 2006
Miami, Fl
www.myspace.com
He texted "Ok im just confirming. I am taking the car. Im coming to get it tomorow night. So consider it sold" then "So dont advertise it anymore. Its mine ok ?" Said he'll be here Wednesday with a tow truck. But insisted on PayPal. Any reason why that is?

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Because he doesn't have cash and wants to pay with a credit card...I would only take cash in hand myself. Its your sale, you call the shots, and why risk getting scammed?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Cash or no deal. Do NOT accept anything else.

Tell him I'm sorry, but I will only take cash.

He wants to do Paypal to either:

a) Do the "Bill Me Later" thing with is basically a credit card via Paypal
or
b) Scam you somehow

CASH ONLY.

jzamerican

Jan 25, 2012
buffablow ny
Alex91Mk3;1958616 said:
Yeah I went on my first date with my wife in it. It broke down on the way to Orlando for Xmas from Miami. Lol. That was an interesting one. I moved to an apartment complex so can't keep it sitting for long before the association starts to ask about it.
My first date with my fiancé went very similar. My car locked me out of it (my supra hates her. Never ran right when my fiancé was in her)