Should I rebuild my 1j while its still out of the car?

dmiller

suspension>power
Jun 30, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
Ok so I bought another 7mgte supra to be my daily for awhile that had arps and new hg, but didn't make it two days and it got a bhg. I was just going to take my time and rebuild my 1jz for my other supra, but due to school starting this week and not having a job anymore I'm trying to decide if I still want to do a 1j rebuild just to make sure its reliable even though due to funds it wouldn't be ready until next summer or should I buy the bellhousing, flywheel, and clutch and finish the swap with the engine as is? The engine was compression tested by a local shop and had 165 across the board. I know the 1js stock are very reliable, but just wondering if a rebuild would be worth it. Thanks if you've read my whole story and for any help.

suprayo

Sep 9, 2009
Vancouver, WA
www.myspace.com
Id drop it in the way it is. Just do all the seals, the rear main front main cam seals valve cover gaskets. If you havd good compression I dont think youll have a problem. If there is something bad its gonna be most likely the turbo seals or the capasitors for the ecu.

If you need any help let me know.

dmiller

suspension>power
Jun 30, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
Ok, thanks John. I was going to do front and rear main seals anyway, but the turbo seals won't be a problem since i'm just going with a single, and going to have Aaron from driftmotion replace the capacitors before the problems start. Just hoping that my bad luck doesn't carry over to jz series motors.

suprayo

Sep 9, 2009
Vancouver, WA
www.myspace.com
I had bad luck with the 7m too. Ive had issues with the 1j but nothing serious. Just be careful if your going single right away dont over boost and break something.

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

Got pics of your new supra? what happened to the blue one?

dmiller

suspension>power
Jun 30, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
I don't plan on running more than 12psi or so. The engine didn't come with the stock twins so instead of just getting them and knowing that they would probably go bad after awhile i'm just piecing together a single kit mostly for reliability.

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

I still have my blue one. It's not going anywhere thats what I was going to rebuild the 1j for. If you look in my threads I have the partout from the one I bought thursday. Its really not a good looker though.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Get something simple for a daily driver and do up both Supras? ;)

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
75% of the time motors are more reliable if they're not rebuilt (unless they're done by a shop that specializes in that motor). I hope you don't take offense to this, I'm not saying you're no good at rebuilding engines, this is just a generalized view of everyone in this hobby.

dmiller

suspension>power
Jun 30, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
destrux;1756404 said:
75% of the time motors are more reliable if they're not rebuilt (unless they're done by a shop that specializes in that motor). I hope you don't take offense to this, I'm not saying you're no good at rebuilding engines, this is just a generalized view of everyone in this hobby.

Yeah I understand what you mean. I have some experience with rebuilds, but I also have access to the shop at my school and my instructor is an ase certified master tech so he could help me as well.