Should I let one supra go? possible partout, suggestions appreciated

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
Wassup guys, once again i come to you for help. I'm in a situation that is a very hard one for me to make. Ill cut to the chase, I bought my first supra 2 years ago for 3k, drove it for awhile then I decided to replace the headgasket before there was an issue. While replacing the headgasket i deiced to do a full rebuild with everything fresh. I have dumped so much time, money, and had many memories in this supra I have a bond with this car. But earlier this year i came across a 1jz swapped supra with all the works done to it. It has a standalone, upgraded fuel, single turbo, twin disk clutch, ect.. It has most of the things done that i wanted to do with my first. But over the years i have collected and bought so many parts for my 7m. I'm at a point were i think its best to get rid of one, to finsh the other. I have thought about keeping the built 7m and swapping another engine into the shell and selling it like that, so maybe one day i could put it in 260z or something along those lines. I cannot afford owning 2 supra's but i feel like if i sold or parted out my 7m i will regret it. But if i sold it, then i could be in a position were i would be able to get the 1jz the way i want it to be. Im debating on a masterpower T70 or something along those lines on the 1jz (any opinions?) for now then later on do the 1.5jz conversion along with cams, paint, tint, tune, and HID's. I want it to be reliable so I wont have to worry about messing up anything when i go for a fun run, or take her for a run down the track, or go on a trip.

I hope im clear with what I need help deciding. All comments are appreciated.

Thanks, Marcus

aznboik1mva

Aug 20, 2009
Manchester,Ct
The 1jz by far is an awesome motor...not to bad mouth the 7m in any way shape or form but when i am in the 1jz i dont worry about oil or headgaskets. Everytime i get into a 7m i always check the oil and coolant and make sure nothing is leaking vs the 1jz where i hop in and worry about nothing. so far the 1jz has been running for about 3 years and been daily driving for about 1 year and the only thing ive changed is the oil and had to get a new power steering line due to the driftmotion one having a leak. the car has only a 3" full exhaust w/ no cats and intake and mbc and sees over 300whp at 14psi safety. if i had to go back and choose a 7m or 1jz id have to pick the 1jz just for the fact that it seems more reliable. i can feel comfortable driving the 1jz down to south carolina on a road trip compared to a 7m. I love the 7m as much as the nxt supra guy but the 1jz to me feels alot better having in the mk3.........or u can always run 2jzge on 7m electronics then turbo......but do watever that u feel most comfortable with

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
Thanks for the reply, I could do the 2jz on the 7m electronics or just the 2jz bottom end on the 1jz.
I am the same way with the 7m, even tough its freshly built.. The

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
keep the 1J car for it's reliability, and if you decided you want more power down the line convert to 1.5J. power and reliability..

why keep an ancient piece of technology just because it has one positive out of a list dominated primarily by negatives.
the reason why 7M's have a bad rep may indeed be a lack of maintenance; however, I know plenty of people who hardly do any maintenance on the JZ's, and yet they still run into eternity without the same issues.